Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My LG 5k UltraFine monitor is blinking on and off (about every 4 seconds) when connected to my Mac Pro 2019 with W5500X video card and latest operating system. Have replaced the thunderbolt 3 cable, no fix. What can I do? Is the monitor broken?

How do I fix this?

Mac Pro, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 11:43 AM

I believe your "shipped in the box" cable (notorious in general for being a "lowest bidder" cable) may be inadequate for Full "5K" at 60 Hz hi-color. the correct ThunderBolt-3 cable has a ThunderBolt at each end. [The other possibility is that you were using the inadequate USB-C cable supplied,

I believe the ThunderBolt cable you bought may not be adequate for this high-end situation.

The simple experiment would be to reduce the resolution or colors, and see if the blinking abates. (caution, not SCALED resolution, ACTUAL resolution say, to "4K" rather than "5K" = "best for display".

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2022 11:43 AM in response to Prof_at_UChicago

I believe your "shipped in the box" cable (notorious in general for being a "lowest bidder" cable) may be inadequate for Full "5K" at 60 Hz hi-color. the correct ThunderBolt-3 cable has a ThunderBolt at each end. [The other possibility is that you were using the inadequate USB-C cable supplied,

I believe the ThunderBolt cable you bought may not be adequate for this high-end situation.

The simple experiment would be to reduce the resolution or colors, and see if the blinking abates. (caution, not SCALED resolution, ACTUAL resolution say, to "4K" rather than "5K" = "best for display".

My LG 5k UltraFine monitor is blinking on and off (about every 4 seconds) when connected to my Mac Pro 2019 with W5500X video card and latest operating system. Have replaced the thunderbolt 3 cable, no fix. What can I do? Is the monitor broken?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.