Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MagSafe Firmware Update

I have been having issue of MagSafe charger not able to charge my phone to 100%, but stuck at 80%. The firmware version is 171.0.0.0, and as far as I know, the latest version is 247.0.0.0. And I have not been able to get it updated even though I had my iPhone 12 charging overnight, sitting on the MagSafe charger. Anyone has any idea how to force a firmware upate?

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 9:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 10:50 PM

I'm unaware of any capacity to force an update of the MagSafe Charger firmware. You'll have to ensure that your iPhone is connected to power and Wi-Fi overnight, to allow the update time to trigger and be applied. Perhaps also restart your iPhone before you connect the MagSafe Charger.

For those reading this and curious about how you can tell the MagSafe Charger's firmware version, this is a good description on how to find the version number.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2022 10:50 PM in response to bp-gan

I'm unaware of any capacity to force an update of the MagSafe Charger firmware. You'll have to ensure that your iPhone is connected to power and Wi-Fi overnight, to allow the update time to trigger and be applied. Perhaps also restart your iPhone before you connect the MagSafe Charger.

For those reading this and curious about how you can tell the MagSafe Charger's firmware version, this is a good description on how to find the version number.

Mar 5, 2022 8:42 PM in response to David McKinlay

Hi David. Thanks for responding. I tried what you suggested and left the iPhone 12 on the MagSafe charger overnight, connected to wifi. And prior to charging, I rebooted the iPhone. Sadly. The firmware is still a very old version of 171.0.0.0. Not sure what else I can do beside just praying it will someday somehow just be updated. As I do have issue using it to fully charge my iPhone 11 Pro.

Mar 5, 2022 9:13 PM in response to bp-gan

That is a stumper. I was given mine for Father's day last September. The new firmware (247) was reported in the Mac/iPhone websites in December so mine must have had the prior firmware (174), yet I checked it following your question and it has the December 2021 update.

Just as odd is the numbering convention.

It's a sufficiently insignificant update in Apple's suite of software that I couldn't find a handy list of dates for the firmware updates. Sounds like a gap for the software observers to fill.

Mar 13, 2022 1:26 AM in response to David McKinlay

Hi all,

Now I find a guarantee way to update the MagSafe Charger firmware. Earlier I plug the USB-C to my iPad Mini 6, and leave the MagSafe plugged in for about an hour, and then checked on the firmware version with my iPhone 12. And now it is updated to 247.0.0.0. That is probably the easiest way to update your MagSafe charger if you have another apple device with USB-C port.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

BP

MagSafe Firmware Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.