Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos "Export" greyed out

In a previous discussion

photo library confusion - Apple Community

I was advised to use Export -> Unmodified Original in the Photos app to transfer the photos from my iPhone to my MacBook. This worked perfectly but is no longer available. The export function is greyed out.

I don't believe I'm doing anything different than before, perhaps I changed a setting somewhere? I thought there was something wrong with the images on the phone so I tried taking a new picture but the problem remains. I've tried selecting all photos, or just individuals with no change.

The iPhone is a 6s running iOS 15.3.1 and the MacBook is 2021 M1 running 12.2.1 with Photos v7.0

I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thank you

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 3:29 PM

Try using the image capture app.

This will transfer directly from the phone to a folder on your mac.

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 4, 2022 1:44 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am trying to import direct from my phone to my MacBook. I thought this was how I did it back in December but maybe I'm mistaken. I am certain I did a direct import during the entire decade I used MacOS 10.8 thru 10.11. It is only recently that I purchased this new computer which uses MacOS 12 that I've been having problems.

I have no need to duplicate images in the photos app and in my personal folders. In fact, I aggressively do not want my images stored in the photos app. I'm seeking a direct import option. Are there third party apps which can do this? Thank you.

Photos "Export" greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.