Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime from MacPro mic not working

I just upgraded to Monterey v 12.2.1 and when I make a FaceTime call the mic selected in the system prefs isn't working. If after initiating the call I open the sound prefs and switch the input source it will start to work. I can even switch back to the source that wasn't working at first and it is fine. I have tried tossing out pref files and rebooting. Mac Pro (Late 2013) 2.7 GHz 12-core, 64 GB RAM. The mic that is the initial selection is the display mic of a Thunderbolt Display/

Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 10:10 AM

7 replies

Mar 5, 2022 11:58 AM in response to Bruce Teall

HI Bruce Teall,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities! From our understanding, when using FaceTime on your Mac Pro there is no sound from your original audio source until you switch audio sources and switch back to the original, do we have that right?

Does this occur in other users as well: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac?

Does this happen if the other audio source is the default as well?

Let us know!

Mar 9, 2022 1:24 PM in response to Bruce Teall

Bruce,

You mentioned earlier about your current set up with the Mic being used on the Thunderbolt Display. Do you happen to have another display by chance to test with? Also, how many devices do you have connected via USB? Possible to remove those devices and test?

Try changing out the cable and see if the same occurs if you use a headset.

If none of these steps helped, contact Apple Support.

Best regards.

FaceTime from MacPro mic not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.