Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS 12.2 Facetime No Microphone When MacBook Pro in Clamshell Mode (closed) on Thunderbolt Displays

Thinking it's likely a bug as it showed up when the 12.2 update was applied.

Basic Config:

• Macbook Pro 2019 - 16 Inch
  • 64GB/2TB/i9
  • Connected to Three Apple Thunderbolt Displays

When making FaceTime calls with the MacBook closed (clamshell mode) the microphone does not work with FaceTime. I can still select the output modes (video and audio) and all change just fine but no one can hear me. I've gone into System Settings>Sound and set the microphone level to 100% for all four microphones (built in, and all three Thunderbolt displays)

Other apps using the built in camera and microphone all work just fine (Zoom, Microsoft Teams, WebEx)

If I open the MacBook Pro while still running all three displays everything works as it should. Just doesn't work in closed clamshell mode. I've attempted and SMC reset along with doing a killall on the VDCAssistant with no change in status.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 12:12 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

MacOS 12.2 Facetime No Microphone When MacBook Pro in Clamshell Mode (closed) on Thunderbolt Displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.