Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inaccurate Distance Measurements, Even After Calibration Reset

My Apple Watch 5 is consistently under-measuring my runs by 2-5%. I've followed the typical Apple instructions for recalibrating the watch with no improvement. Even when I'm running on a flat and straight route on a clear day with no cloud, building, or tree obstruction for GPS, the distance measurements in the Workout app are short, and are usually often significantly different for the 2 halves of an out-and-back run. For reference, I'm comparing the watch's distance measurement with the known, professionally measured (for race course) distance of my routes. How can I go about correcting or calibrating the watch's GPS (I'm assuming it's a GPS issue since my run should have strong GPS signal throughout and therefore not rely on the accelerometer/pedometer, which I already know is inaccurate and unreliable)?

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 8

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 10:31 AM

If you have already gone through calibration steps, you can always unpair and reset Apple Watch. Sometimes doing this can correct any issues (as long as they aren't hardware related). Doing this reset will automatically back up your Watch apps and data too.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2022 10:31 AM in response to Jimjmeyer

If you have already gone through calibration steps, you can always unpair and reset Apple Watch. Sometimes doing this can correct any issues (as long as they aren't hardware related). Doing this reset will automatically back up your Watch apps and data too.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Inaccurate Distance Measurements, Even After Calibration Reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.