Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone water damage

my iphone fell in 8 meter deep sea water for over 30 minutes and i managed to get it. i turned it off right away and it’s working perfectly right now (after 28 hours). i’ve also put it in rice for quite a while. what are the chances that my phone will stop working and what should i do right now to save it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 10:18 AM

Putting it in rice is pointless as if water got inside the phone, rice is a pointless desiccant. The fact it is still working is good, water could be slowing working its way through the circuits and chips in the phone and you should be prepared, it could fail.

There is not help or warranty for a water damaged phone. The best advice is to make sure you have a very current backup of everything on your phone so if you need to replace the phone, you can restore a new phone from backup.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2022 10:18 AM in response to belal293

Putting it in rice is pointless as if water got inside the phone, rice is a pointless desiccant. The fact it is still working is good, water could be slowing working its way through the circuits and chips in the phone and you should be prepared, it could fail.

There is not help or warranty for a water damaged phone. The best advice is to make sure you have a very current backup of everything on your phone so if you need to replace the phone, you can restore a new phone from backup.

Mar 4, 2022 10:26 AM in response to belal293

There is a possibility that it could fail - given its depth and time that it was submerged, the odds would be that it won't work, but while it is working, make sure to back it up as suggested above.

If the iPhone stops working, you can schedule repair at the Genius Bar or upgrade your phone. See here for more info on water damage and warranty service: Water and other liquid damage to iPhone or iPod isn't covered by warranty - Apple Support

Mar 4, 2022 10:35 AM in response to belal293

This is probably not an Apple acceptable solution but what I’ve done with several devices (AirPods, Fitbits, key fobs) that have either gotten wet or been exposed to too much moisture/humidity is to use a blowdryer on a cool setting to dry out the ports. You def don’t want to do it too close, only get enough airflow to dry it out. Best of luck…hope your phone continues to show no probs!

iPhone water damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.