Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

while watching apple+ tv program servant on LG 65" thin q, signal cuts out 2~3 seconds and returns with dolby vision in upper right

while watching apple+ tv program, servant on LG 65" thin q, signal cuts out (black screen) 2~3 seconds and returns with dolby vision in upper right

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 1:07 PM

Is this happening once at the beginning of the show, or periodically during the program?

In any case, the "Dolby Vision" banner in the upper right of the screen is the LG's way of letting you know that it's started receiving a video stream encoded using Dolby Vision. The preceding 2-3 seconds of blank screen is the time it takes the LG to switch to the new video formatting.

You can prevent this by changing the ATV4K's default Settings > Video and Audio > VIDEO: Video Format = 4K Dolby Vision and setting Match Content = Off. In effect, this switches the ATV4K to Dolby Vision output mode when you turn it on and has it stay there (upsampling/converting lesser content as best it can to match your TV's best video mode).

Some folks say they have issues watching SDR-encoded content and content encoded at different framerates this way ("washed out colors", flashes and "judder"), others don't see any issues and say everything looks great... I suspect most issues are due to mismatches between the TV's settings and the ATV4K's, old spec HDMI cables or other TV issues.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2022 1:07 PM in response to Bruceba

Is this happening once at the beginning of the show, or periodically during the program?

In any case, the "Dolby Vision" banner in the upper right of the screen is the LG's way of letting you know that it's started receiving a video stream encoded using Dolby Vision. The preceding 2-3 seconds of blank screen is the time it takes the LG to switch to the new video formatting.

You can prevent this by changing the ATV4K's default Settings > Video and Audio > VIDEO: Video Format = 4K Dolby Vision and setting Match Content = Off. In effect, this switches the ATV4K to Dolby Vision output mode when you turn it on and has it stay there (upsampling/converting lesser content as best it can to match your TV's best video mode).

Some folks say they have issues watching SDR-encoded content and content encoded at different framerates this way ("washed out colors", flashes and "judder"), others don't see any issues and say everything looks great... I suspect most issues are due to mismatches between the TV's settings and the ATV4K's, old spec HDMI cables or other TV issues.

Mar 5, 2022 3:23 PM in response to Bruceba

You're very welcome and I'm glad I could help.

So the issue would occur occassionally at scene changes? Interesting. I understand that Dolby Vision allows for shifting the HDR color range from scene to scene... apparently this is triggering the ATV4K's Match Content functions to signal video mode changes to the TV in an unintended way (obviously causing your LG to overreact).

I think Apple might want to consider this a Dolby Vision-related bug, but since Apple TV devices have been designed with an emphasis on audio/video processing and the Match Content feature is set to off by default, I can see how this might slip past QA (or be allowed past QA given a workaround of reverting to default settings :-).

while watching apple+ tv program servant on LG 65" thin q, signal cuts out 2~3 seconds and returns with dolby vision in upper right

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.