Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird mouse problem after replacing my keyboard

This is a bit long-winded so please bear with me...  I've a Mac Pro here (about 3 years old) running Mojave. I use a Genius (i.e. PC style) keyboard and Microsoft mouse (actually, a TrackerBall).  A couple of

days ago the keyboard failed and I needed to buy a new one.  I managed to find another Genius k/bd but it's not the same model as last time.  However when I booted up Mojave again, everything seemed okay. The monitor worked, the new k/bd worked and I could see the mouse moving.

BUT - I've now a really strange problem...  Whenever I click the mouse, the horizontal co-ordinate works as expected - but vertically, no matter where I click the mouse, it seems to think I've clicked right down at the bottom of the screen :-(  I can dual-boot here into Windows and Windows is still working fine.

Is there some way I can tell Mojave to re-configure / re-calibrate the mouse so that it'll work normally again?

Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 12:11 PM

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2022 12:11 PM in response to johne53

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Mar 6, 2022 1:15 AM in response to BDAqua

Many thanks for the suggestion.

I had a minor breakthrough here... when I left-click anything, the mouse cursor drops to the bottom of the screen. But I realised that if I continue to hold the LH key and then move the mouse very slightly (before releasing the key) it almost acts as if I'd clicked normally.

Having said that, I'm not sure Safe Mode worked for me. I held down the Shift key here but nothing seemed any different. It booted up in the same time and it looked the same and behaved the same. Is there an alternative procedure for activating Safe Mode? e.g. if I'm booted normally, can I set anything to indicate that the next boot should be in Safe Mode?

Weird mouse problem after replacing my keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.