Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac mid-2007 won't turn on recovery mode after SSD upgrade

Hi, I upgraded my mid-2007 iMac to SSD, after i turned it on it only showed a flashing folder with a question mark on it (Like normal), but when I tried to turn on the internet recovery (CMD + R) the iMac did a long beep and then turned off. It did the same for me when I was holding a shift, CMD + R + P, CMD + OPTION + R + P and holding option. RAM is fine (brand new tested yesterday, 4GB). Did I make a mistake somewhere during the upgrade or will there be a problem with the OS?

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 6:47 AM

Yes, you can use a USB installer. How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Plug it in, power up, select the USB stick as the startup volume, then proceed as if this was an internet recovery.

Similar questions

11 replies

Mar 5, 2022 7:00 AM in response to matej733

What SSD and drive kit did you use to upgrade the 2007 iMac?

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/imac/2007

Did you put the SSD into an external enclosure, format it and install macOS on it, then test it before installing it into the iMac?

Was your internal drive working when you removed it from the iMac? If so, the put the old HDD into an external enclosure, startup from it, then format and install macOS on the SSD.

If the answer above are no, then you can use the original gray Install Disc set that came with the iMac or a Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD. If you do not have either those or your SuperDrive is not working? Then you will need to create a 10.11 El Capitan Installer on a FlashDrive and use that to format and install macOS on the SSD.

iMac mid-2007 won't turn on recovery mode after SSD upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.