You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Messages Emoji as Type?

On my iPhone in Messages as I type I can easily type an emoji like LOL and tapping it. This does not work on MacOS Messages. Why not?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 4:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 6:53 AM

I would guess the development of iOS Messages and macOS Messages are entirely two different development / engineering teams. Apple did bring several things over from the iOS version. But again, the keyboard completion is due to the iPhone touch keyboard and not so much the App.

Submit your feedback to Apple here:

Feedback - Messages - Apple

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 6, 2022 6:53 AM in response to EarthBased

I would guess the development of iOS Messages and macOS Messages are entirely two different development / engineering teams. Apple did bring several things over from the iOS version. But again, the keyboard completion is due to the iPhone touch keyboard and not so much the App.

Submit your feedback to Apple here:

Feedback - Messages - Apple

Mar 5, 2022 6:01 PM in response to EarthBased

Apple hasn't yet implemented that functionality which is more a function of the iOS keyboard than the Messages app itself. You can click the Emoji button on macOS Messages or press Ctrl+Cmd+Spacebar to pop open the emoji browser which has a recently used list of emoji or you can search for an emoji. You have a full keyboard on a Mac which you do not have on the touch screen iPhone.

MacOS Messages Emoji as Type?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.