Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drag and drop files using touch pad

I used to be able to click on a file without it opening, then hold down on the touch pad, and drag the file to a new window. Now, clicking on the file simply (and annoyingly) opens it. Particularly when I'm, for instance, trying to move a photo from my download folder or desktop to an app like Mailchimp. Where do I fix this? I already tried touchpad in System Preferences. This process use to work (drag & drop -- not system preferences) and no longer does. Help please. thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 11:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 6:35 AM

Does this occur for a different user, e.g., Guest ? 

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Does this occur after starting up in Safe Mode

Consider the possibility of a third party software conflict.  EtreCheck can be used to investigate what is installed.  Give it Full Disk Access. You can post the report here. Someone might spot something.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2022 6:35 AM in response to ShanNovember

Does this occur for a different user, e.g., Guest ? 

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Does this occur after starting up in Safe Mode

Consider the possibility of a third party software conflict.  EtreCheck can be used to investigate what is installed.  Give it Full Disk Access. You can post the report here. Someone might spot something.

Drag and drop files using touch pad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.