Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted Macintosh HD and internal drives in disk utility HELP!!

I was trying to wipe my MacBook and I’ve deleted the internal system Macintosh HD when in disk utility I can’t see any internal option only disk images. I’ve tried to download OS and as I don’t have an option for an internal storage it won’t let me download. When I load up the MacBook I get the file with a ? In it and I have to boot through internet recovery.

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 12:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 3:04 AM

If your Mac starts up to a question mark

A folder with a flashing question mark means that your startup disk is no longer available or doesn't contain a working Mac operating system.

If the question mark appears only momentarily before your Mac starts up normally:

1. Reset NVRAM.
  2. Make sure that your preferred startup disk is selected in Startup Disk preferences.

If the question mark persists, follow these steps:

1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.
  2. Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold Command (⌘) and R to start up from macOS Recovery.
  3. While in macOS Recovery, use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk.
  4. If Disk Utility found no errors or repaired all errors, reinstall macOS.
  5. If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2022 3:04 AM in response to LaurenLuciaX

If your Mac starts up to a question mark

A folder with a flashing question mark means that your startup disk is no longer available or doesn't contain a working Mac operating system.

If the question mark appears only momentarily before your Mac starts up normally:

1. Reset NVRAM.
  2. Make sure that your preferred startup disk is selected in Startup Disk preferences.

If the question mark persists, follow these steps:

1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.
  2. Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold Command (⌘) and R to start up from macOS Recovery.
  3. While in macOS Recovery, use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk.
  4. If Disk Utility found no errors or repaired all errors, reinstall macOS.
  5. If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

Mar 6, 2022 3:51 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you I’ve been on to apple support. I’ve not tried the NVRAM change as it keeps booting internet recovery option. I’ve deleted the file so in DU I can only see disk images. My friend at Apple Park said I’m best to take it in and they can re code it back to normal as he said it doesn’t seem to be damaged as I’ve tried delete something I shouldn’t. So confused! I’ve got an appointment tomorrow I hope they can sort it for me.

Deleted Macintosh HD and internal drives in disk utility HELP!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.