Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Emails printing with VERY small font (Again)

Apple Emails printing with VERY small font

Repeat of my question on Apple Emails printing with VERY small font - Apple Community, never solved

How does one get Apple Mail to print the correct text size – i.e. how to set its default?

I have changed the sizes of the header fonts in Mail > Preferences > Fonts & Colors to font style & size Times New Roman 12, but Apple Mail ignores it and prints TNR about size 6, both for the header and the body.

I can change the size of the printout, by changing the scale in the print dialog, but that is not the point – I want a default that is set to the correct scale, both text and header. I don’t want to adjust every single message!!!

In every other program on the Mac, Times New Roman 12 works perfectly for reading and printing. Why is Apple Mail so different?

I read Emails printing with VERY small font - Apple Community, which said

“if your email font is easy to read on the computer but prints out very small and you want it to print out larger, when the email is open in Apple Mail, hold down the Command key and tap the plus sign (+) only once. This enlarges the email font size for printing purposes. Tap the plus sign again and again if you want the font to be even larger. (usually needs at least 3.) After printing, when that email is closed, the font will return to its original size.”

I can press Cmd+ to increase the

printed text size of the email body, but it has no effect on the email header

font size. So how does one enlarge the text of the header (To, From subject,

date), which does not enlarge like the rest of the text?

Other suggestions did not help:

"If you just want to change the size of the printout, you can change the scale in the print dialog."

is not a workable solution - it enlarges the text but makes the text and any

graphics run off the right of the page, and does not wrap around.

Font size does matter - I want to set the preferences so I can read it clearly on screen, and that same size should be what prints.

I have submitted feedback to Apple.

Can anyone help? 

Cheers

Guern

[Edited by Moderator]

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.0

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 11:06 AM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2022 11:06 AM in response to Guern2020

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Apr 7, 2022 10:59 AM in response to OldToad

Thanks Old Toad

There is nothing wrong with my Mac and it certainly is not so bad that it needs me to give full access to Etrecheck, which opens me up to all sorts of problems, and is probably malware:

https://sites.google.com/site/howtotellifyourmacishacked/is-etrecheck-malware

I am used to Windows and Outlook, and I find Apple Mail is laughably poor in comparison. The font setting is just one of many issues, and it certainly should not be so fiendishly difficult to fix.

Mar 9, 2022 2:35 PM in response to Guern2020

It can't be that badly designed as you're the only one whose posted with that problem as far as I can remember.

Download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the first window that comes up so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click the About… vurron and read the info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the source of the problem.

Apr 7, 2022 11:14 AM in response to Guern2020

Etrecheck is not malware. It is a tool created by a very respected member of this community to help us help you.

It is used dozens of times a day.

We get this false claim often, and at times the same people who believe that have themselves installed malware or just crappy programs that are causing the problems that brought them here.

A case of misplaced trust.

Some very nasty applications are on the App Store - so they are "good"; Etrecheck is not, so it is "bad". No.

Apple Emails printing with VERY small font (Again)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.