Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac actually running out of space due to Other

I have a 256G MacBook Pro. When I try to upgrade to Monterey it tells me I do not have enough disk space. About this Mac shows about 100G in this partition in use by legitimate apps and date, and 89G used by "other". It tells me I have only 16G available.

I've tried running both OmniDiskSweeper and GrandPerspectve; both only show about 99GB in use so I can't use them to find or free up the mysterious "other" space. I ran First Aid from Disk Utilities but it reported everything is OK.

Any suggestions? TIA

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 8:14 PM

Ever since Apple changed the filing system and decided to “sequester” the OS and all system files on its own inaccessible read only volume, controlling this category has been taken over by the OS:

See used and available storage space on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

FWIW, it has now been renamed system data in Monterey, but you still cannot control it.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2022 8:14 PM in response to PeterORiordan

Ever since Apple changed the filing system and decided to “sequester” the OS and all system files on its own inaccessible read only volume, controlling this category has been taken over by the OS:

FWIW, it has now been renamed system data in Monterey, but you still cannot control it.

Mar 6, 2022 3:43 PM in response to PeterORiordan

Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

If you need to make more storage space available on your Mac, use its built-in tools to optimize storage space, or free up space in other ways.

1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose About This Mac.
  2. Click Storage. At first the storage bar estimates the amount of used and available storage space. When it finishes calculating, it shows segments representing several categories of files.

3. Click the Manage button to open the storage management window:

4. To begin optimizing storage space, choose from features such as Store in iCloud,* Optimize Storage, and Reduce Clutter. Learn more about these features.

5. To measure progress as you make changes, refer to the amount of “available” space shown at the top of this window, or in About This Mac.

Free up storage space in other ways

• Delete unneeded media, such as music or movies or podcasts, which can use a lot of storage space.

• Delete unneeded files in the Downloads folder. You can open the Downloads folder from the Dock or by choosing Go > Downloads from the menu bar in the Finder.

• Delete unneeded email in the Mail app. To delete junk mail, open Mail and choose Mailbox > Erase Junk Mail. To delete mail that you've moved to the Trash, choose Mailbox > Erase Deleted Items.

• Check the Users folder on Macintosh HD for any shared files that you no longer need to share.

• Move some of your files to external storage, such as iCloud Drive* or an external drive connected to your Mac.

Remember that when you move a file to the Trash, its storage space doesn't become available until you empty the Trash.

* Storing files in iCloud uses storage space in your iCloud storage plan. If you reach your iCloud storage limit, you can Upgrade to iCloud+, or you can Manage your iCloud storage. iCloud storage starts at 50GB for $0.99 (USD) a month. you can purchase additional storage directly from your Apple device. Learn more about prices in your region

Mar 6, 2022 3:47 PM in response to PeterORiordan

I have found these two things to be among the usual culprits in "Other." Both are stored in locations inside ~/Library.

• iOS device backups (they are full copies of your iOS device(s))
  • Email if you use Outlook, Thunderbird or other non-Apple email client. (Mail also stores email in ~/Library but Manage Storage shows it on its own.)

Mar 6, 2022 4:08 PM in response to PeterORiordan

The Other category is a potpourri of files which can include:

• System temporary files

• macOS system folders

• Archives and disk images (.zip, .iso, etc. - often found in the Downloads folder)

• Personal user data

• Files from the user’s library (Application Support, iCloud files, screensavers, etc.)

• Cache files: browser, Mail

• Mail messages & attachments

• Fonts, plugins, extensions

• Safari reading list

• iTunes backups

• Crud resulting from jailbreaking your iDevice

• Game data

• Saved data files

• Call history

• Notes

• Media

• Voice memos

• Other files that are not recognized by a Spotlight search

• Media files that cannot be classified by Spotlight as a media file because they are located inside of a package

• Files created and modified by other user accounts on your Mac.

They can be located anywhere on your hard drive.

The files that you have control over are located in the Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Movies folders.  You can use either of these two free apps, GrandPerspective  or OmniDiscSweeper, to find the largest files on your drive so you can determine if they can be deleted or moved to an external HD for storage.  

Note: you can empty the Downloads folder after the apps and/or updates that were downloaded have been installed or applied.  Many users have found a couple of Gigabytes of files in their Downloads folder which are no longer needed. 

Mar 6, 2022 4:16 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for the replies. As I mentioned, I've run both OmniDiskSweeper and GrandPerspective and both show only a total of 99GB in use. I believe that all ll the files you mention should be reported by them; if so the space is being used by something else that they are not seeing.

As far as things like IOS device backups, wouldn't these show up as part of an OmniDiskSweeper report?

Mac actually running out of space due to Other

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.