Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app Message Preview Pane Default Magnification - How to change (increase) permanently?

Is there a way to change the default mail message preview pane magnification?

If I temporarily increase the magnification by using CMD+, as soon as I switch to another message it forgets the magnification level. I'd like it to work like Microsoft Outlook and remember the level of magnification I like using for the Mail message preview pane for all messages.

Thanks for any help. I've seen others complain about the overly small default magnification in Mail as well but no solutions. I even have my monitor "scaled up" and the preview pane remains too small for me to use at the default setting.

Thanks,

Mike

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 5:31 PM

Yeah, I saw the other people who mentioned this problem got that same advice. The problem with that solution is that I mainly am interested in being able to read the messages other people send me without having to CMD+++ every message...

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 6, 2022 5:39 PM in response to Barney-15E

Well, Barney-15E, I believe I responded to fast. I just tried what you said and it worked in a way I totally didn't expect and seemed to solve my problem!

I choose a larger size of the font it was defaulting to and, amazingly, all the text in a dense message I had received from someone GOT LARGER! I really didn't think Apple Mail would be overriding the font and size of a message someone had sent me but it does. Totally unexpected as I would have thought most people would want their messages to use the font and size that the sender had chosen. So surprised by how this works.

Thanks!,

Mike

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2022 5:58 PM in response to mega_matrix

Totally unexpected as I would have thought most people would want their messages to use the font and size that the sender had chosen.

I can't begin to fathom how much worse email would be if that were the case.

Also, there is nothing in the email protocol that makes any sort of assurance that the message will be displayed as desired by the sender.

Mail app Message Preview Pane Default Magnification - How to change (increase) permanently?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.