Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

modify plotting

Is it possible to modify the plotting routines in Numbers? I would like to plot a standard blood pressure plot, with date and time along the x-axis, and systolic and diastolic pressure on the y-axis. I can plot a standard scatter plot, with SYS and DIA in different coloured points, but that is not satisfactory. I want a plot with a bar from DIA to SYS, to do this I think I would need to modify a standard bar chart so date/time is on the y-axis, the lowest point of the bar is offset above the axis by the diastolic value and the top of the bar is the systolic value. It would look like this (the green dots for pulse rate are an extra):

Can we do this in Numbers?

Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 6:58 PM

Yes and no.

The bar chart is the yes part. The no part is that bar charts are Category charts, which means they have a value axis (vertical for the chart shown) and a category axis (where the dates would go).

Each 'category' is alotted the same amount of space on the category axis, so readings taken yesterday and today would be the same distance from each other as readings taken today and the next day to took readings—even if that set was 10 days from now.

The graph would be a stacked bar chart, with the DIA bar set to 'no fill' and the sys bar, stacked on top of the DIA bar and set to red fill.

More details available in the Bssic Charting template.

Regards,

Barry

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2022 6:58 PM in response to nimbus9

Yes and no.

The bar chart is the yes part. The no part is that bar charts are Category charts, which means they have a value axis (vertical for the chart shown) and a category axis (where the dates would go).

Each 'category' is alotted the same amount of space on the category axis, so readings taken yesterday and today would be the same distance from each other as readings taken today and the next day to took readings—even if that set was 10 days from now.

The graph would be a stacked bar chart, with the DIA bar set to 'no fill' and the sys bar, stacked on top of the DIA bar and set to red fill.

More details available in the Bssic Charting template.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 7, 2022 1:45 AM in response to nimbus9

nimbus9 wrote:

"I can plot a standard scatter plot, with SYS and DIA in different coloured points, but that is not satisfactory. I want a plot with a bar from DIA to SYS"

You can insert 2D Scatter chart and format it to look something like this.

That's close to the format you posted, but you'll have to add a legend manually.

So what's the trick? You can add an error bar and format it to look just like the bar in a column chart. The length of the bars is derived from values from an extra column, here column E, which is simply the difference between C and B.

Some of the major steps

Select all the cells in the table and insert a 2D Scatter chart looking something like this:

Click to select the Systolic series of dots in the chart and delete it (hit delete key). Do the same for Bar Height.

Click the Diastolic series and set Y Axis Error Bars to Positive only and Use: to Custom Values:

Click in the Positive box: delete the default 10 in it, and select column E in the table:

That should give you something like this (I think I clicked on the wrong series for this screenshot but it illustrates the idea):

Click the bars in the chart, thicken them, and format to taste.

Click each of the other series in the chart and format them in the Style panel to remove the Data Symbol, etc.

Format the rest of the chart to taste, and manually add a legend if you need one.

Error bars can be very useful in spreadsheet software other than for their original narrow purpose of showing statistical uncertainty.

SG

modify plotting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.