Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storage space on Macbook Air doesn't add up

My Macbook Air seems to be almost out of storage space, but I can't see what it is using up the storage.

When I click About This Mac > Storage > Manage > File Browser, this is what I see. Documents takes a total of 116.82GB, but when you add up the subfolders and files within Documents, it doesn't come close to that amount. Any suggestions?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 5:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 5:43 AM

Read storage on MacBook Air - Apple Community.

4 replies

Mar 7, 2022 5:52 AM in response to John Galt

I don't think that answers my question. And I see that the original post did not include the picture I meant to attach. Hopefully this works. The problem is that all of the components of Documents do not add up to anywhere near the total size of Documents. So if I want to clear up space, I don't even know where to look, because I don't know what is taking up space in the first place.

Mar 7, 2022 7:01 AM in response to matt_8675

I don't think it's possible to answer your question. I'm not being flippant, the problem is that attempts to calculate macOS's file storage size is an exercise in futility. You would need to read that Discussion as well as the others linked in it, thoroughly and in significant depth, to appreciate what you're up against.

Dropbox is a complicating factor. I know what iCloud Drive does, but Dropbox is another story. I don't use it.

Storage space on Macbook Air doesn't add up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.