You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Capture HDMI video onto iPhone

I think I saw this question in a older post, but here goes:

I have a computer screen (HDMI) I want to capture photos and videos to an iPhone X’s. Could I use an HDMI to USB adapter and a USB to Thunderbolt adapter to capture the video like an external camera?

iPhone XS, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 9:11 AM

3 replies

Mar 8, 2022 8:58 AM in response to dal1791

Hello dal1791,

If you're looking to use an external display as another screen when using your iPhone camera, you'll need to connect via AirPlay. The link below will show you how to connect and also mirror your iPhone screen:

Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror the screen of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Feel free to reply if you have additional questions.

All the best.

Mar 8, 2022 12:06 PM in response to dal1791

dal1791,

Got it, thank you. What you describe isn't possible with an HDMI cable, but there might be third-party apps out there that would allow for screen sharing. Your best bet would be to check out the App Store on your iPhone and look at reviews there to see if there might be one that would work for this purpose: Download apps and games on your iPhone or iPad

Have a good one.

Capture HDMI video onto iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.