Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i get the serial number for a stolen iphone

My iphone 12 mini was stolen 72 hours ago. I need to file a police report, but do not have the serial number or IMEI. Yes, I know, but I do not have the original box (lost in a move) and icloud only gives a partial number. I did contact Apple support and they told me to look at the back of the phone - my stolen iphone that I do not have in my possession. Hence the word "stolen." Does anyone have any other ideas to get the full serial number or am I out of luck?

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 1:15 PM

When I log in to https://appleid.apple.com and click on Devices it shows the full serial number and IMEI for each device.

If you ever synced the device to your computer the serial number and IMEI should be in iTunes (or Finder on a Mac with Catalina or later).

In addition, your carrier knows the IMEI of your iPhone. You can ask them or log in to their customer portal.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2022 1:15 PM in response to V0N1G2

When I log in to https://appleid.apple.com and click on Devices it shows the full serial number and IMEI for each device.

If you ever synced the device to your computer the serial number and IMEI should be in iTunes (or Finder on a Mac with Catalina or later).

In addition, your carrier knows the IMEI of your iPhone. You can ask them or log in to their customer portal.

Mar 7, 2022 1:00 PM in response to V0N1G2

Apparently your didn't read the information in that link.

If you don't have your device

There are several places to check that might show the serial or IMEI/MEID number.

1. Go to appleid.apple.com in a web browser.
  2. Sign in with the Apple ID that you use on your device. 
  3. Choose the Devices section. To see the serial and IMEI/MEID number, select the device.

Mar 7, 2022 12:57 PM in response to Demo

As I stated above, I do not have the original package. I lost it in a move. They also said contact Apple support. Apple support told me to look at the back of my stole iphone. I cannot look at the back of my stolen iphone. It is stolen, not in my possession. Does anyone else have an idea besides the link shared above?

Mar 7, 2022 1:08 PM in response to Kurtosis12

I did read all the information in the link. Don't get snarky. You stated to look at the last suggestion in the article which I referenced. I did sign in with my Apple ID. It does not show the IMEI/MEID number, only the last five digits. Apple support will not give the complete numbers due to security reasons. The handout does not address my question. Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to get the full serial number or IMEI without original packaging, the physical phone? Apple ID does not work neither does Apple Support.

Mar 7, 2022 5:00 PM in response to V0N1G2

I guess you just had to hear it from three different people before you believed it. I posted the link, Kurtosis12, suggested that you read it, and Lawrence Finch gave you instructions, the very same instructions that were in the link.

If you would have the read the last part of the support article….Oh well.

For the record, I’m the one that first suggested the link, not Kurtosis12

how do i get the serial number for a stolen iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.