Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to copy files from newer iPad to older one for backup?

I have a newer (2019) iPad and also a quite old one (~2013), which still works very well.

I would like to delete all the files of the older one then copy the contents of the newer one to it. I will take the older one with me when I go out In case I need to use it, and leave my new one safely at home.

The older iPad has a very large memory, so lots of space.

Thanks to anyone who can tell me what is the best way to do this.

Alameda

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 8:44 AM

Given that your old and new iPad devices will have different iOS/iPadOS versions, you’ll not be able to use the normal transfer mechanisms that are intended to move/copy data from an old to new iPad. Transfer and restore cannot be used to restore data to an earlier version of iOS than created the backup.

As such, you have two viable (native) options…

1) Use iTunes or Finder on PC or Mac to manually transfer documents from new to old iPad:

Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

2) Perhaps more useful, use iCloud to make documents and data available between devices:

Set up iCloud on all your devices – Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2022 8:44 AM in response to Alameda136

Given that your old and new iPad devices will have different iOS/iPadOS versions, you’ll not be able to use the normal transfer mechanisms that are intended to move/copy data from an old to new iPad. Transfer and restore cannot be used to restore data to an earlier version of iOS than created the backup.

As such, you have two viable (native) options…

1) Use iTunes or Finder on PC or Mac to manually transfer documents from new to old iPad:

Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

2) Perhaps more useful, use iCloud to make documents and data available between devices:

Set up iCloud on all your devices – Apple Support

Mar 25, 2022 12:07 AM in response to Alameda136

1. Select your language on your new iPad with your new and old devices in close proximity.
  2. Tap Continue on your iPad on the pop-up that appears asking you to set up your new iPad with your Apple ID.
  3. Use your old iPad to scan the image that appears on your new iPad.
  4. Enter your old iPad's passcode on your new iPad.
  5. Set up Touch ID or Face ID on your new iPad.
  6. Choose whether or not to restore your new iPad from your most recent compatible backup, if that option presents itself.
  7. Choose to restore your new device from an iCloud or iTunes backup, set it up as a new iPad, or transfer data from an Android device.
  8. Agree to the terms and conditions.
  9. Tap Continue under Express Settings to use Siri's settings, Find My iPhone, Location, and usage analytics that were transferred over from your old iPad.
  10. Complete the setup process for your new iPad as you normally would.

I hope it works well. Thanks

[Edited by Moderator]

Mar 7, 2022 8:41 PM in response to Alameda136

Alameda136 Said:

"How to copy files from newer iPad to older one for backup? [...]Thanks to anyone who can tell me what is the best way to do this."

-------

Please Specify:

Your post contradicts itself. Which do your want to do?:

A. Copy files from newer iPad to older one for backup?

or...

B. Delete all the files of the older one then copy the contents of the newer one to it

How to copy files from newer iPad to older one for backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.