Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I delete HomeKit and start again?

I have a couple of HomePod minis, a couple of Apple TVs, an iPad Air, an iPhone XR and a mbp. I have successfully added 5 nanoleaf lamps and 4 lifx lamps.

I have added a couple of automations which work mostly ok - very occasionally some lamps will stay on! Every time (and I do mean every time!) I open the HomeKit app on my iPhone or iPad some lamps will show as "updating". seriously? updating? every time?

I have since tried adding more lifx lamps but the process time-out, several times but I cannot add more lamps - apple support pushed me towards lifx; lifx customer helpline (sic!) we no help.

when trying to add a lamp through the lifx app (which also timeout!) it does suggest that there is a problem within HomeKit.

my question is: would deleting the HomeKit app from all my devices and start again from scratch solve the problem ?? I don't really want to go through the whole process of re-adding the lamps if it's not necessary. but I want HomeKit to work out-of-the-box and not employ workarounds.

any suggestions?

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 2:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 2:50 AM

Without any replies to my question I decided to throw caution to the wind and delete HomeKit and start again.

So far, so good but re-installing my lamps required re-setting them and were not immediately recognised by the HomeKit app (I only re-installed the HomeKit app to my iPhone and not to my iPad) it took several goes to re-install and just as many re-sets. After a good few hours, I am back up to speed with lamps not updating every time I open the app and the automations are working as instructed - for now, that is.

I love HomeKit and love using it but, oh my . . . what a palaver when it doesn't quite go to plan!!!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2022 2:50 AM in response to siledwards

Without any replies to my question I decided to throw caution to the wind and delete HomeKit and start again.

So far, so good but re-installing my lamps required re-setting them and were not immediately recognised by the HomeKit app (I only re-installed the HomeKit app to my iPhone and not to my iPad) it took several goes to re-install and just as many re-sets. After a good few hours, I am back up to speed with lamps not updating every time I open the app and the automations are working as instructed - for now, that is.

I love HomeKit and love using it but, oh my . . . what a palaver when it doesn't quite go to plan!!!

how do I delete HomeKit and start again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.