Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.tiff files not printing

I can't print tiff files: it only prints the 1st page and nothing else (after I had "upgraded to Monterey 12.2 from Big Sur

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 9:36 AM

phillipn17 wrote:

Is it a Monterey bug or bugs from 3 different printers?

This is a bug/limitation in Monterey. TIFF files normally don't have more than a single page and Apple makes consumer products.

You can send feedback at: Product Feedback - Apple

or file an official bug report at: https://feedbackassistant.apple.com

In the interim, you will need to look for a 3rd party solution. It looks like this limitation is baked in pretty deep. I tried to convert the format using both Preview and sips and had the same result.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2022 9:36 AM in response to phillipn17

phillipn17 wrote:

Is it a Monterey bug or bugs from 3 different printers?

This is a bug/limitation in Monterey. TIFF files normally don't have more than a single page and Apple makes consumer products.

You can send feedback at: Product Feedback - Apple

or file an official bug report at: https://feedbackassistant.apple.com

In the interim, you will need to look for a 3rd party solution. It looks like this limitation is baked in pretty deep. I tried to convert the format using both Preview and sips and had the same result.

Mar 9, 2022 7:07 AM in response to phillipn17

phillipn17 wrote:

I can't print tiff files: it only prints the 1st page and nothing else (after I had "upgraded to Monterey 12.2 from Big Sur

Old issue, new issue, what changed?

Typically printers/scanners are the first causality in any macOS upgrade

"1st page " of what, where...?

Is there a specific application involved?

Have you updated your print driver?

reference:

Print documents from your Mac - Apple Support

Solve printing problems on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/solve-printing-problems-on-mac-mh14002/mac

Mar 9, 2022 10:43 AM in response to phillipn17

The workaround for printing multi-page TIFF on Monterey is to first convert them to PDF and then print that PDF. Without the following trick, it will just print the same first page for the TIFF's page count.

1. Open the multi-page TIFF in Preview
    1. File menu > Export…
      1. Export As: filename.pdf
      2. Format: PDF
      3. Quartz Filter: Lightness Increase
      4. [√] Alpha (may be optional)
      5. Save
  2. Quit Preview
  3. Open the PDF created from 1.1 in Preview and print normally
  4. Quit Preview

I have confirmed that on Monterey 12.2.1, step 1.1 produces a PDF whose pages reflect the respective TIFF image pages. By using the Increase Lightness Quartz filter, color is passed from the TIFF to the resulting PDF.

Mar 9, 2022 9:03 AM in response to leroydouglas

I belong to a bid service that provides specs for printing projects for the USGPO. The specs are .tiff files that can range from 3 pages up to 30+ pages. When I was using Big Sur I would only have to click on the .tiff to print.

When I upgraded to Monterey, I click on the tiff to print the document the printer would only print page 1 multiple times no matter if it was 3 pages or 30 pages. I've tried it on several different printers (Brother, HP, Kyocera) and I always get the same result.Is it a Monterey bug or bugs from 3 different printers?

Mar 9, 2022 11:40 AM in response to VikingOSX

Unfortunately, I have tried that to no avail. Because the .tiff only repeats the 1st page , when it is converted to PDF it duplicates page 1 over and over again...sigh.

I actually went to the Genius Bar and the geniuses couldn't figure it out so they uninstalled Monterey(12.0.1) and took me back to Big Sur where I had no issues..

I thought I would try Monterey 12.2.1 to see if the bug was fixed but I'm going down the same road again.

Mar 9, 2022 12:39 PM in response to phillipn17

I started with a multi-page TIFF and following my prior instructions to the letter, I generated a PDF that contained every page from the TIFF, not just the first page. Tested it before I posted, and again following your reply. It works in either case to generate the desired PDF on macOS 12.2.1.

Also, note that Quick Look will only display the first page of a multi-page TIFF.

Apr 6, 2022 11:12 AM in response to phillipn17

I'm having the same issue. I have to download and print multiple-page TIFF files from our County. I used to be able to do it seamlessly prior to updating. In my issue, the printer [a Kyocera] prints the correct number of pages within that document, but it only prints the first page image on each of those pages.

Any updates anyone knows of as of yet?

.tiff files not printing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.