Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Photos resets photo titles as I am typing them

Often, when I am adding titles to pictures, Photos will simply reset the text I've entered to the original text. Sometimes, it seems to insert a random GUID (combination of letters and numbers). When it does this, it will often do it 2-3 times in a row on the same title before "allowing" me to enter my own title.

Sometimes, I'll be able to change several photo titles in a row and I'll relax, but then it starts happening again.

I find that if I type very quickly, I can sometimes finish the title and hit "enter" to save it before Photos can change it on me.

This is extremely frustrating and nerve-wracking behavior.

It's utterly inexplicable why the title would change back during editing.

Detail:

• MacOS Big Sur (but it's been happening for years, with earlier versions)
  • Happens on two different machines
  • CloudSync is not enabled
  • I use "Opt + Enter" to jump into title-editing mode on a photo

I found a link to this same question: Why does iPhoto delete all my titles when… - Apple Community. It was posed over 10 years ago. The answer there was not very helpful, if not more than a little bit rude. If there is a more appropriate place to submit a bug report, I haven't found it.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 2:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 11:15 AM

Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it in your Pictures folder or on an external volume?

While I have still been using Big Sur I found that editing the titles has been easier from All Photos than from Imports. Also waiting a few hours to give Photos time to update the Library after importing new photos helped.

Would it be possible for you to upgrade to macOS 12 Monterey? I have no longer seen the problems with titles reverting to the original after upgrading to Monterey.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2022 11:15 AM in response to mvonballmo

Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it in your Pictures folder or on an external volume?

While I have still been using Big Sur I found that editing the titles has been easier from All Photos than from Imports. Also waiting a few hours to give Photos time to update the Library after importing new photos helped.

Would it be possible for you to upgrade to macOS 12 Monterey? I have no longer seen the problems with titles reverting to the original after upgrading to Monterey.

Mar 9, 2022 7:27 AM in response to mvonballmo

I have seen the insertion of a random GUID too. It seems to happen, when I try to copy and paste the filename, but the focus gets lost and Photos is copying the the file itself instead of its name.

The lost focus may be occurring, when we are trying to assign titles in a smart album and the smart albums getting updated while we are editing.

When we are using a smart album to find the photos we want work on, it is safer to create a standard album from the selection, before we are starting to work on the photos.

Mar 9, 2022 9:49 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for the reply! In a way, I'm glad it's not just me experiencing this.

I am not editing in smart albums, though. Neither do I have any smart albums that filter on the title. I generally edit either in an import album or in "All Photos".

I don't notice a loss of keyboard or editing focus. The focus ring remains on the input for the title of the picture. It just erases everything I've written, replacing it either with the original title or an arbitrary GUID.

Mar 9, 2022 1:56 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for following up again!

This seems to me to be an interesting hypothesis for the behavior.

> Also waiting a few hours to give Photos time to update the Library after importing new photos helped.

I very often import photos and then edit them immediately. Although it would be nice were this to be possible, I will try to wait a little while after import to see if I still get the problem. I'll report back after my next batch of image imports.

> Would it be possible for you to upgrade to macOS 12 Monterey? I have no longer seen the problems with titles reverting to the original after upgrading to Monterey.

This is also good to know, thank you. I usually wait for a while before upgrading, but with Monterey at version 12.2.1, I think I've waiting long enough. If you way you're no longer experiencing the issue, then maybe I'll try that soon.

Apple Photos resets photo titles as I am typing them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.