Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Mac Music application disconnects from my shared iTunes library. How can I prevent this?

I use Home Sharing on iTunes 12.8.3.1 to stream music from a library hosted on a mid-2011 iMac running macOS 10.13.6 over an 803.11n WiFi LAN. For years I have successfully streamed succcessfully via AirPlay to several Airport Express 802.11n (2nd generation) devices in my home directly from my iMac.

Recently I acquired a new M1 Mac Mini that is now running Mac OS 12.2.1. The Music application (v1.2.2.40) that is built into Monterey allows me to connect to and browse my shared iTunes library, and to begin playing tracks that I select from it over whatever audio output device I have then enabled. But invariably the application will sooner or later disconnect from that library, go quiet, and invite me instead to populate a new one with the aid of the Apple Music streaming service.

I haven’t yet tested the Music apps on my mobile devices running iOS 15.3.1 to see whether they are afflicted with the same exasperating behavior.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 8:43 AM

Hello John Miller10,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are having an issue with Home Sharing with your new Mac. To help with this, try running First Aid on your hard drive with the built in Disk Utility tool, as this can correct simple issues like you're experiencing.

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility https://support.apple.com/HT210898

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2022 8:43 AM in response to John Miller10

Hello John Miller10,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are having an issue with Home Sharing with your new Mac. To help with this, try running First Aid on your hard drive with the built in Disk Utility tool, as this can correct simple issues like you're experiencing.

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility https://support.apple.com/HT210898

Cheers!

Mar 12, 2022 6:54 AM in response to jdo_apple

Though skeptical of this suggestion, I ran Disk First Aid on both my iTunes Home Sharing server machine (the mid-2011 iMac, running High Sierra) and the Monterey client with the problematic Music application. The volumes on both machines verified with no problems that needed repair. The issue I described in my post persists.

Today I can add as an aside that the iOS Music apps on my iPhone and iPad don't seem to disconnect from my shared iTunes library like the Music application on my Monterey Mac mini does.

The Mac Music application disconnects from my shared iTunes library. How can I prevent this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.