Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird Self-Inflicted Notes Problem

I made a dumb mistake that has had catastrophic consequences. I opened my Notes up and entered the SELECT ALL command, intending to select all the text in the note I had open. Instead, I selected all the NOTES. I then clicked on the note I wanted to be working with to resolve that, but inadvertently commanded notes to OPEN EVERY NOTE instead. I have thousands of Notes. The app crashed while trying to open all those windows, of course, so I force quit it. But now, also of course, every time I open Notes, it immediately tries to open every note and crashes immediately. I have tried to interrupt the app's processes using Activity Monitor and Terminal, but it looks like the crash is well underway before I can do that. I also restarted the Mac, just in case, but that didn't help either. All my notes are backed up of course, but I use Notes every day for all sorts of random stuff. How can I get the Notes app working again?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 3:50 PM

This self resolved: eventually Notes opened with a message asking if it should stop trying to open the windows.

Similar questions

1 reply

Weird Self-Inflicted Notes Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.