You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to open padlock with my legitimate password.

Does anyone know why it would be that a password that I normally use to unlock the padlock icon is now no longer working and if so how I can get it to work again?

Furthermore, how do I reset the password without first having to type in the old password to access my Admin permissions?

Any help and advice that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 3:01 PM

5 replies

Mar 10, 2022 4:14 AM in response to SnF1

Go to > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212190

Startup in macOS Recovery Mode using the Command key or Control key if yours are reversed and follow the “Reset Password assistant” instructions.

Use the Reset Password assistant

You should now see the utilities window, which shows options such as restoring from Time Machine, reinstalling macOS, and using Disk Utility.

1. From the Utilities menu in the menu bar, choose Terminal.
  2. In the Terminal window, type resetpassword, then press Return to open the Reset Password assistant.
  3. If you're asked to select an admin user you know the password for, click “Forgot all passwords?”.
  4. At the Reset Password window, click Deactivate Mac, then click Deactivate to confirm.
  5. If you see an Activation Lock window, enter your Apple ID email and password, then click Next.
  6. At the Reset Password window, enter your new password information, then click Next.

Mar 10, 2022 1:20 AM in response to den.thed

Thank you for replying to my query and for providing me with the link to try and solve the problem.

Having looked at the steps that I take, I can see that they refer to the login screen which is something that I don’t use the password for as I’ve turned this off in Security and Privacy. I daren’t turn it back on just in case it locks me out of the Mac altogether.

There was one solution to the problem which I tried which was to get into the boot screen. However, I’m using a Windows QUERTY keyboard so I had to improvise by substituting the Command key on an Apple keyboard for the CTRL key on mine.

This didn’t seem to work so is it something that I’m doing wrong or do I have the wrong keyboard to perform this task?

I’m reluctant to buy a new Mac keyboard simply to boot into the boot screen but if that is my only option then I suppose I’ll have to.

The question is, is it my only option?

Thank you in advance for any help and advice that you can provide.

Mar 10, 2022 4:44 AM in response to den.thed

Thank you again for your reply and assistance.

Unfortunately I’ve already tried what was suggested in the link with a Windows keyboard but I was unable to get into the boot section to reset the password.

Will I need to purchase a Mac compatible keyboard or should the Windows keyboard that I currently have be sufficient?

If it is what key or keys should I be pressing at the same time as the R key to enter the boot screen?

Thanks in advance.

Unable to open padlock with my legitimate password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.