Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export 4k 60fps in iMovie on MacOS

How can I export 4k 60fps from iMovie on MacOS? I can't seem to find a way, but I see that iOS allows it? Can I transfer iMovie project from MacOS to iOS? If no to everything, why would the iOS iMovie app be more capable than the original MacOS vesrion..? I need any kind of workaround as all my content are 4k 60fps videos and I've already completed the editing within iMovie.

iMac 2017 on MacOS 12.2.1

iMovie on 10.3.1

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 10:50 AM

iMovie for Mac doesn't have a 4k 60fps export option. You can export at 1080 60fps, however. You might want to try doing that. The hi def 1080 resolution is still very high quality.

iMovie for iOS is a different app than iMovie for Mac. It happens to have a 4k 60fps option that iMovie for Mac does not have. I do not know why it was designed that way. Unfortunately, one cannot transfer a Mac iMovie project to iOS iMovie.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2022 10:50 AM in response to Kennyswan

iMovie for Mac doesn't have a 4k 60fps export option. You can export at 1080 60fps, however. You might want to try doing that. The hi def 1080 resolution is still very high quality.

iMovie for iOS is a different app than iMovie for Mac. It happens to have a 4k 60fps option that iMovie for Mac does not have. I do not know why it was designed that way. Unfortunately, one cannot transfer a Mac iMovie project to iOS iMovie.

-- Rich

Mar 12, 2022 2:44 PM in response to TinenTech

You should be able to import 4k 30 fps projects, but not 4k 60 fps projects because Mac iMovie does not and never has supported 4k 60 fps. 4k 60 fps clips that are imported into an iMovie timeline get reduced to 4k 30 fps. Importing iOS projects didn’t get dropped, but many users, including me, have not been able to make it work — and I’m using Mojave where it has always worked before.

— Rich

Export 4k 60fps in iMovie on MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.