Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migration assistant stuck restoring from Time Machine

I just got my MacBook Pro laptop returned after the motherboard was changed. I have been backing up all my data through TimeMachine on a local NAS.

I'm trying to restore the latest backup onto the MacBook Pro with the newly replaced motherboard but I'm unsuccessful so far.

If I boot in rescue mode and I choose the option to restore from Time Machine, the mac can detect the NAS volume with the Time Machine backups, but regardless of which backup date I pick from the list, I always get the same message back saying something in the lines that I need to use Migration Assistant instead of running Time Machine.

So I boot the mac normally, and start Migration Assistant. Migration Assistant is able to see my NAS volume, however it will not proceed any further. I never get to any stage where I can select a backup or see any progress towards restoring a Time Machine backup.

What options do I have in order to restore my backup on my laptop?

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 6:34 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 10, 2022 12:40 PM in response to julianpic

Hi julianpic,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. With the inability of restoring your backup on a network-attached storage, we recommend to follow these steps:

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine 

If Time Machine says that it can't use your backup disk to back up or restore your files, try these solutions.

Make sure that you're using a backup disk supported by Time Machine.
Unless you're using a network backup disk, make sure that your backup disk is connected directly to your Mac, not through a USB hub or other device.
If your backup disk is connected directly to your Mac, use Disk Utility to repair the disk.
If you're using a network backup disk, make sure that the network connection is good and your Mac is connected to the same network as the backup disk. If you completed a previous backup successfully, verify that backup: Press and hold the Option key while choosing Verify Backups from the Time Machine menu in the menu bar.
Make sure that the firmware of your backup disk is up to date. Check with the manufacturer of the backup disk for details.
If no other solutions work, start over: Erase your backup disk, then use Time Machine to select it as your backup disk again. 

That information is outlined in this helpful article: If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine

Following these steps may help.

Kind regards.

Mar 10, 2022 3:26 PM in response to julianpic

Thanks for following up.

Does the computer currently have an operating system installed? If not, let’s do that first following the steps found here: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Next, for Migration assistant, you will want to have the Time Machine backup disk connected directly to the Mac, not connected through the network. Once that is done, follow the rest of the steps found here to move the information: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

Let us know if this helps.

Mar 11, 2022 6:36 AM in response to julianpic

julianpic,

You actually are not required to have the Time Machine backup directly connected to your Mac, based on Restore your Mac from a backup. But there may be several reasons why you're not able to restore your backup.

Is macOS currently installed on your Mac? If you need to reinstall macOS, do that before continuing: reinstall macOS

If the steps in Restore your Mac from a backup don't work, follow If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine. If those steps don't work or "If you need help, please contact Apple Support."

We hope those steps resolve the issue.

Mar 10, 2022 3:10 PM in response to bryanr14

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately they don't apply or make a difference. My Time Machine backup is on a network volume. My mac is connected to the same wired network (right on the same network switch). Migration Assistance shows the Time Machine volume as a candidate to begin a migration, but it never shows any backups to choose from or proceeds to copy any data from that backup onto my mac.

Mar 11, 2022 3:02 AM in response to Shannon_DN

Ah! so maybe that's my problem. My Time Machine is not in an external disk directly connected to the Mac. It's a network volume. Do I need to move that Time Machine volume to an external disk? If so, are there any precautions or special steps I need to do when moving that volume to an external disk so that the Mac recognizes the disk as a Time Machine disk?

migration assistant stuck restoring from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.