Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Mouse Pointer

I have an odd issue with my MacBook Pro's mouse pointer in the Finder window. I hope the way I explain it makes sense and somebody can help.

We all know that, by default, the select pointer in Mac is an arrow pointing diagonally to the top left, eg.

In Finder, if you want to change the width of a column in column view the pointer changes to a resizing cursor, eg.

Once you are done resizing the width of the column and move the cursor elsewhere on the screen the cursor returns back to the default pointer.

In my case, however, one of two strange things happen:

Firstly, once I am done resizing the width of a column in the Finder window, and move the cursor anywhere else on the screen the cursor DOES NOT return back to the default pointer - it stays a resizing cursor all over the screen.

Secondly, when I move the pointer leftward and cross the line that divides the side panel and the Finder window, the pointer also changes to the resizing cursor. The cursor also DOES NOT return back to the default pointer - it also stays a resizing cursor.

Any help out there?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 5:38 AM

Can't say I've heard of this particular issue. As a test, boot into Safe Mode and check if it happens. If it doesn't, it means some third-party app is causing the problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

4 replies

Finder Mouse Pointer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.