Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when does phone service transfer to new phone

Hi,

I set up my new iPhone about 3 hours ago, transferring all my contacts, many apps, etc. from my previous phone, an Android. So far, so good, except I just tried to place a call with it for the first time, and the service hasn't switched. Fortunately, it's still working on the old phone, or I'd be unable to place or receive calls. At what point does the service switch? Is there anything else I need to do? I thought Apple took care of that with the carrier (Verizon). Nothing about it popped up while I was setting up the iPhone.

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 10:49 AM

10 replies

Mar 10, 2022 3:00 PM in response to sberman

I didn't have that number. It's not on my bill, and I didn't see it on their website. I did choose the "you call me" option, a couple of times. Got automated responders that kept hanging up on me. That's when I opted for the chat. Almost 3 hours in now, and the (live) agent says they'll have to put an IT ticket in on it. Three live agents have tried, and couldn't solve it. So it's not something obvious. They don't think it's the phone.

Mar 11, 2022 1:06 PM in response to sberman

Update, after 3 hours with Verizon support yesterday and another hour plus today: the eSIMs provided in the iPhone don't work, can't be activated. I'll have to go to the local Verizon store and have a physical SIM card put in, then a Verizon agent will call me on Monday to activate and make the switch. What a mess. Cautionary tale about eSIM, maybe.

when does phone service transfer to new phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.