Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Top header and adjust top margin

Pages-word processing. I do not need a header iIn my book project, but do need the footer for pagination. Can I delete the header for the whole document ? Also can I adjust the top margin as needed to fit more text on any individual page and keep the rest as default margin ?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 7:30 PM

Hi aruwon'

Headers, Footers and Document Margins are set in the Document Inspector. Click the Document button at the right end of the toolbar too open this Inspector pane:

Uncheck the headers checkbox.

Standard margins for Pages documents on /uS Letter size paper are 1" on all four sides. each is independently adjustable, but applies to the whole Document.

Text in the document body cannot go outside the defined margins.

To 'adjust the top margin', the easiest method is probably to set the document margin (top) to the 'special' width you will use on pages where it is needed to 'fit more text', then use a transparent and borderless rectangle, set to wrap text above and below, inside the 'special margin' to block text from going beyond what would be your 'normal' top margin for the page. Each of the rectangles would need to be individually set, and set to Stay on Page, rather than the default Move with Text,

Athough this is possible, I would not recommend it for two reasons:

• it is tedious and finicky.
    • bouncing the top of the text block from page to page is bad design, slows the reader, and likely will annoy the reader.

Regards,

Barry

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2022 7:30 PM in response to aruwon2

Hi aruwon'

Headers, Footers and Document Margins are set in the Document Inspector. Click the Document button at the right end of the toolbar too open this Inspector pane:

Uncheck the headers checkbox.

Standard margins for Pages documents on /uS Letter size paper are 1" on all four sides. each is independently adjustable, but applies to the whole Document.

Text in the document body cannot go outside the defined margins.

To 'adjust the top margin', the easiest method is probably to set the document margin (top) to the 'special' width you will use on pages where it is needed to 'fit more text', then use a transparent and borderless rectangle, set to wrap text above and below, inside the 'special margin' to block text from going beyond what would be your 'normal' top margin for the page. Each of the rectangles would need to be individually set, and set to Stay on Page, rather than the default Move with Text,

Athough this is possible, I would not recommend it for two reasons:

• it is tedious and finicky.
    • bouncing the top of the text block from page to page is bad design, slows the reader, and likely will annoy the reader.

Regards,

Barry

Top header and adjust top margin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.