Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dear Apple: Why does my 2013 MacBook Pro show notifications for (impossible) software upgrade to macOS Monterey?

I have a very frustrating situation. My 2013 MacBook Pro retina repeatedly shows an "upgrade" notification for Monterey MacOS - which is impossible, because the limit for my machine is Big Sur. I'd have to ditch my computer and buy a new one to do the upgrade. Originally I considered this a harmless glitch but now many months later I still see it so it really irks. As my screenshots show it will even occasionally let you click through to the app store page for the OS upgrade. It's probably a bug related to other software downloads being made available but it's very annoying.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2022 10:21 AM

MS416 wrote:

No one can answer this? Disappointed that this community and Apple can't help with this. The annoying notification appeared today as well. Must be 25 times in the last 6 months.

It seems to me the trigger is an outdated application and/or using a feature not available— is this third party software—this export tab...(?)

I would advise not clicking through to the App Store. Full stop

You do not say what exact macOS it is you are running...

The current stable release of your Big Sur is macOS 11.6.5 (20G527) (March 14, 2022)

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/get-macos-updates-mchlpx1065/mac

You can try and suppress the Monterey notice, which on the surface seems like a glitch...if we have all the facts here.

from the Terminal.app copy and paste:

sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Monterey"

then after you 'enter' the command line, followed by

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0 && Killall Dock

For your frustration you can submit your Apple Feedback Product Feedback - Apple

You can try reinstalling the macOS on top of your existing macOS from the Terminal to sort anomalies, copy and paste:

sudo softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 11.6.5

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2022 10:21 AM in response to MS416

MS416 wrote:

No one can answer this? Disappointed that this community and Apple can't help with this. The annoying notification appeared today as well. Must be 25 times in the last 6 months.

It seems to me the trigger is an outdated application and/or using a feature not available— is this third party software—this export tab...(?)

I would advise not clicking through to the App Store. Full stop

You do not say what exact macOS it is you are running...

The current stable release of your Big Sur is macOS 11.6.5 (20G527) (March 14, 2022)

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/get-macos-updates-mchlpx1065/mac

You can try and suppress the Monterey notice, which on the surface seems like a glitch...if we have all the facts here.

from the Terminal.app copy and paste:

sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Monterey"

then after you 'enter' the command line, followed by

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0 && Killall Dock

For your frustration you can submit your Apple Feedback Product Feedback - Apple

You can try reinstalling the macOS on top of your existing macOS from the Terminal to sort anomalies, copy and paste:

sudo softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 11.6.5

Mar 20, 2022 9:10 AM in response to babowa

Babowa. Please read more carefully. In my previous reply to Leroy I did answer re: "export" line - it is just a browser tab reporting on a web-based export from a website. It has nothing to do with local application process.

As I said to Leroy, the glitch DOES seem to be RELATED to MacOS updates for Big Sur. All of which I install.

First Apple pushes this "Update to Monterey" notification and then I notice in settings a Big Sur update. It's absolutely annoying that they do this.

Mar 20, 2022 7:46 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi Leroy Douglas and thanks for taking the time. I am using the newest version of Big Sur and always update within a few days or weeks of new versions appearing.

You are correct that this is a glitch but it still is infuriating, as it is like Apple advertising the new OS to me to prompt me to upgrade my computer. Coincidentally I notice after the "Upgrade to Monterey" prompt appears that a Big Sur update is sure to appear.

Re: your screenshot of my screenshot, as mentioned above the correlation is that the "upgrade" notification always coincides with a Big Sur update. It is not anything to do with "export" from an application (that tab is from a website export process, not an application on my computer).

This really sours me on Apple. I love my Macbook but this is so annoying - it feels to me like an accident that isn't an accident. It feels like insidious marketing.

I will not report this to Apple - they should monitor forums like this. I've seen similar posts.

Appreciate you taking the time. Thank you.

Mar 20, 2022 8:28 AM in response to MS416

I will not report this to Apple - they should monitor forums like this. I've seen similar posts.

They don't - these are user to user forums as evidenced in the ToU. They are not Apple support.

You haven't answered the question: what is this "Export" tab/site? I suspect that it may be producing that popup.

Lastly, if you cannot find an answer here, you should contact Apple support as what you are showing is not normal OS behavior.

Dear Apple: Why does my 2013 MacBook Pro show notifications for (impossible) software upgrade to macOS Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.