Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

temporarily clear imessage on mac

Hello! I am trying to download MacOS Monterey but i do not have enough storage on my Mac. My imessages take up the most space, is there a way that I can logout of my account and clear the messages to install Monterey, but then log back in and re-upload the imessages after? (assuming they stay in icloud because it is synced with my phone) Same idea as taking my email accounts off of mail, and then logging back in and my inbox syncs back up.

Thank you!!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 1:17 PM

It's very unusual for messages to take up so much space as to prevent OS installation. Either you have an extremely small disk or a an epically massive number of messages.

The usual "offenders" are pictures, videos, downloaded movies and other usually large audio-visual content.

Apple has guidance here: Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2022 1:17 PM in response to kpalffy3

It's very unusual for messages to take up so much space as to prevent OS installation. Either you have an extremely small disk or a an epically massive number of messages.

The usual "offenders" are pictures, videos, downloaded movies and other usually large audio-visual content.

Apple has guidance here: Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Mar 11, 2022 2:28 PM in response to kpalffy3

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

temporarily clear imessage on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.