Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 1 yr subscription to apple tv. When i go to watch something it says i can Buy, Rent or Subscribe in the apple tv app on Iphone, ipad or other streaming devices . What doe this mean , why can't i just watch the show I clicked on?

I have a 1 yr subscription to apple tv. When i go to watch something it says i can Buy, Rent or Subscribe in the apple tv app on Iphone, ipad or other streaming devices . What doe this mean , why can't i just watch the show I clicked on? a in the apple app on my Amazon firestick.

FireTVStick4K(2018)/Soundbar(2019),

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 9:31 PM

I am having the same issue. I am accessing the Apple TV+ app on my smart TV and it will not allow me to select a show and watch it. It wants me to subscribe and pay, but I already have a 1 year subscription which doesn’t end until June. I have reset the Apple TV+ app and logged back in, but it is still not working. It works on my iPhone just fine though.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2022 9:31 PM in response to Scoo2000

I am having the same issue. I am accessing the Apple TV+ app on my smart TV and it will not allow me to select a show and watch it. It wants me to subscribe and pay, but I already have a 1 year subscription which doesn’t end until June. I have reset the Apple TV+ app and logged back in, but it is still not working. It works on my iPhone just fine though.

Mar 18, 2022 2:11 PM in response to Slobaugh

Slobaugh wrote:

I have the same issue and I’m in a fireTv not the stick. I reset the app I’ve signed in and out and back in again numerous times and I’ve made sure that everything I’ve tried to watch has the Apple TV+ logo and it still isn’t working.

"Still isn't working" is not very helpful.

What happens when you try to watch something with the TV+ logo exactly? Does it not play? Does it tell you, you need to subscribe? What exactly?

Mar 11, 2022 11:01 AM in response to Scoo2000

The Subscription to Apple TV+ only covers Apple Original content. If it says Buy, Rent or Subscribe to a different service, then its not part of the Apple TV+ catalog.

The Apple TV+ catalog will have no prices or buy / rent options at all.

Make sure the item you are trying to watch has the TV+ logo in the corner.

Apple TV+ Original Content Catalog - Wikipedia.org

Mar 12, 2022 1:06 AM in response to Scoo2000

… it says I can Buy, Rent or Subscribe in the Apple TV app on iPhone, iPad or other streaming devices. What does this mean? Amazon Fire TV stick.

On Amazon Fire TV devices, you can't purchase content from the Apple TV app. The financial transaction is currently not supported on that platform. You can purchase content on another supported device to watch it in the Apple TV app on your Amazon Fire TV device. [1]

Mar 12, 2022 1:05 AM in response to Watsitgona-b-doc

Watsitgona-b-doc wrote:
I am having the same issue.

Are you on Fire TV as well? If not, then it is not the same issue.

It wants me to subscribe and pay, but I already have a 1 year subscription.

Verify the subscription on your account for the active status of Apple TV+.

Verify that you signed in to the Apple TV app with the Apple ID account that has the subscription.

Verify that you selected content that is part of the subscription. The Apple TV+ subscription doesn’t cover everything in the Apple TV app. Other subscription content is also available in the app. Which show did you try to access?

I have a 1 yr subscription to apple tv. When i go to watch something it says i can Buy, Rent or Subscribe in the apple tv app on Iphone, ipad or other streaming devices . What doe this mean , why can't i just watch the show I clicked on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.