Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bookmarks not sync'ing between MacBook and iPhone

I just realized that bookmarks on my MacBook are not syncing with bookmarks on my iPhone (and vice versa). This seems to be a newish issue. They did sync normally for years till recently. I just noticed that new bookmarks in the past month or two are no longer syncing at all. The iCloud is active on each device. All updates applied on each device too.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

JS

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 6:31 PM

37 replies

Mar 24, 2022 7:27 AM in response to corelle

I have the same problem.

iPhone 13 Safari Bookmarks all messed up - Apple Community

I have a new iPhone 13 with IOS 15.4. My iMac is the new M1 with Big Sur.

The Safari Bookmark sync was working fine on my old iPhone SE with IOS 14.

I have read comments from others who upgraded to Monterey on their Mac and had the same issues, so I'm not upgrading to Monterey for now.

But the iPhone IOS 15.4 Safari Bookmarks are not syncing in the same order as my iMac.

Mar 19, 2022 10:12 AM in response to faith185

Hi, since the updates a couple of days ago I have also got problems! My additions of bookmarks in Favourites on my IMac in Safari is suddenly incorrectly added in IPhone and IPad! They are added correctly at the end of the list on my IMac, but is added in the beginning of this Favourite list in IPhone + IPad, or maybe as position five. I have deleted the iCloud link to Safari on IPhone/IPad in Settings, waited a couple of minutes added the link again, and restarted according to the Apple recommendations incl also the IMac. But next time it is the same error again on both IPhone and IPad:-(! Same Apple-id is used all the time on all devices, never changed. Just to give up, after always having worked just fine earlier? Feels like a new bug to me!

Mar 30, 2022 6:40 AM in response to faith185

Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I checked everything as directed and tried to do what I could to address matters, but still have the problem. It is entirely baffling. It is solely bookmarks that do not sync between the iPhone and MacBook; all else works fine. In the circumstances, I have to assume that this specific feature may have been "broken" by an update pushed to me by Apple. Pity.

Apr 8, 2022 3:36 PM in response to JSACKS2

Is this still a thing for you all? For me it is at least. Running iOS 15.4.1 and MacOS 12.3.1 (both newest).

Every now and then I have to turn off the Safari toggle in iCloud settings on iPhone to reset it. It then works for a while and stops working again after serveral hours or days. Very annoying.

Also, I had the ordering issue some people mention after updating software, but this suddenly fixed itself and never came back.

Apr 8, 2022 5:42 PM in response to unoon

It’s still a thing. It’s unlikely to be an OS issue. I suspect it’s an iCloud issue, as this issue appeared shortly after there were iCloud problems a few weeks ago.

We have a thread going on MacRumors: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-15-4-safari-bookmark-favorities-position-sync-issue.2338521/

I’m going to try something when I have a chance. I can report back if it works.

Apr 10, 2022 6:59 PM in response to faith185

I just remembered something else that I forgot to post when I started this thread originally:

At the same time as I noticed the non-sync'ing of bookmarks issue, I had observed that I also was no longer able to see on my iPhone what Safari pages were open on my MacBook. I used to be able to see them and also access them on the iPhone. This feature has disappeared.

Any advice or suggestions for this appreciated too, thanks.

Apr 11, 2022 9:43 AM in response to pippins100

This stuff isn't worth any more time wasted on it. Nobody seems to know what the cause is or how it can be fixed.

I had 20+ years of frustration with Microsoft software on all of my PCs and laptops, and eventually gave up and moved to Apple. I'm generally very happy with Apple because it just works. It's a shame this syncing and web page display on all devices doesn't work any longer, but I am not going to spend any more time working on "fixing" it.

Apr 14, 2022 9:32 PM in response to RGORANSSON

https://www.notebookcheck.net/iPhone-users-complain-about-several-issues-after-iOS-15-4-1-update.612646.0.html

https://piunikaweb.com/2021/12/23/safari-bookmarks-frequently-visited-sites-missing-even-on-latest-ios-15-2/

For me, since IOS update 15.4.1, neither bookmarks or iMessages will consistently sync. See the non-Apple links above which show the update bug's problems are well known on the internet. BTW, Apple Product Feedback has never resolved a problem for me unless it's assigned a case # and routed to Engineering.

I shall keep my fingers crossed with you.

MacBook Pro Early 2015

iPhone XR

Apr 26, 2022 9:05 AM in response to JSACKS2

Apple says you are limited to 500 bookmarks.

I have almost 5,000. I organize by hierarchy; something Apple makes difficult, because when you are saving, you can't expand/collapse folders (look at Internet Explore or Edge to see what I mean).

My Mac and iPhones and iPad were all Syncing together... until suddenly they were not. I have no idea what changed. Probably caused by an update.

Bookmarks not sync'ing between MacBook and iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.