Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple support for malware. how to understand if it is really apple support

I think I was infected through a malware. andv today a window opened in my browser putting me in contact with apple support. somebody made me install the LogMeinRescue program and with my consent they accessed my computer. I stopped them after a while since I was not sure that they were realky what they pretended to be. I asked them to prove that they really were people from apple support and they dropped my. saying that there is a long queue and be safe.

is this a trustable or a malicious procedure?

in the meanwhile, my conputer is realky infected….

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 4:33 AM

manuela127 wrote:

I think I was infected through a malware. andv today a window opened in my browser putting me in contact with apple support. somebody made me install the LogMeinRescue program and with my consent they accessed my computer. I stopped them after a while since I was not sure that they were realky what they pretended to be. I asked them to prove that they really were people from apple support and they dropped my. saying that there is a long queue and be safe.

No one can see your computer has malware, out of the nowhere...? Apple does not call unless you initiate the contact.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls ...

Giving someone direct access to your computer is asking for compromising your personal /financial / digital security.

I do not know all the ins and outs here...

I would uninstall LogMeinRescue. I would change your Admin psswd, I would change your AppleID. I would consider cancelling any creditcard information.

For one on one support here, you can Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204169

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2022 4:33 AM in response to manuela127

manuela127 wrote:

No one can see your computer has malware, out of the nowhere...? Apple does not call unless you initiate the contact.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls ...

Giving someone direct access to your computer is asking for compromising your personal /financial / digital security.

I do not know all the ins and outs here...

I would uninstall LogMeinRescue. I would change your Admin psswd, I would change your AppleID. I would consider cancelling any creditcard information.

For one on one support here, you can Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204169

Mar 26, 2022 8:48 PM in response to manuela127

This is a tech support scam, they can't automatically know you have malware or a virus unless they watch you or something. Most tech support companies don't just provide unsolicited support, especially popular ones. There are YouTube channels that expose people who do this and stop people from getting scammed by explaining how the scam works. Did you give them access to any information? If so, you might want to change the information so they can't hack you.

Mar 27, 2022 9:06 AM in response to anabel249

my safari browser was not working properly and a window automatically opened with a diagnostics, suggesting me to immediately contact apple support. I followed the link (apple was a main word in the address) and I was trapped by hackers. They pretended to be apple support and I gave them access into my computer, with an application that I downloaded following their suggestion. after a while I understood that it was a form of physhing, and interrupted the connection. I blocked my credit card and changed the passwords of my computer and apple ID. Later I knew that they tried to use my credit card, but they did not succeed. I felt very stupid....

apple support for malware. how to understand if it is really apple support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.