Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remote access my Mac

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 7:14 AM

If the Mac is on the same Local network as you are, just click the name of the remote mac under "Locations" in the left of a finder window and then either log in or share screen, depending on whether you want to just grab files or perform operations on the remote device. The remote Mac needs to be on but does not need to be attended.

If you want to access and control an attended Mac remotely (to help resolve a techcical issue for example) that is not on your local network, the simplest way is via Messages. The remote mac can be anywhere on the planet. Start a conversation and then request access to share screen (Menu: Conversations / Ask to Share Screen). The remote Mac owner can then give you permission to control their machine.

However if you are looking to access your own unattended home mac when you are out travelling, it is not so easy, or free. This used to be possible with "Back to my Mac" which was part of the iCloud service but dropped a few years back. The idea now is that you use iCloud Drive for those essential files, which are then accessaible to all your devices (iOS, Mac etc). If you still want a service that lets you access your remote mac, I would suggest either Apple Remote Desktop or Screens 4. Both are available on the App store.

However both come with caveats:

• ARD is a tool that is intended to help managment of multiple remote Macs and therefore may be overkill if all you want to do is pick up a few files. About $80

• Screens cost $30 on the App store..... but I have also seen it from other sources outside the app store for $10/mth bundled with "CleanMyMac X" and other bits of chaff and flack which you did not request "Your app will arrive with Setapp, a suite of apps for solving everyday tasks on Mac and iPhone." Caveat emptor.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2022 7:14 AM in response to Contactsformatt

If the Mac is on the same Local network as you are, just click the name of the remote mac under "Locations" in the left of a finder window and then either log in or share screen, depending on whether you want to just grab files or perform operations on the remote device. The remote Mac needs to be on but does not need to be attended.

If you want to access and control an attended Mac remotely (to help resolve a techcical issue for example) that is not on your local network, the simplest way is via Messages. The remote mac can be anywhere on the planet. Start a conversation and then request access to share screen (Menu: Conversations / Ask to Share Screen). The remote Mac owner can then give you permission to control their machine.

However if you are looking to access your own unattended home mac when you are out travelling, it is not so easy, or free. This used to be possible with "Back to my Mac" which was part of the iCloud service but dropped a few years back. The idea now is that you use iCloud Drive for those essential files, which are then accessaible to all your devices (iOS, Mac etc). If you still want a service that lets you access your remote mac, I would suggest either Apple Remote Desktop or Screens 4. Both are available on the App store.

However both come with caveats:

• ARD is a tool that is intended to help managment of multiple remote Macs and therefore may be overkill if all you want to do is pick up a few files. About $80

• Screens cost $30 on the App store..... but I have also seen it from other sources outside the app store for $10/mth bundled with "CleanMyMac X" and other bits of chaff and flack which you did not request "Your app will arrive with Setapp, a suite of apps for solving everyday tasks on Mac and iPhone." Caveat emptor.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.