Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to open a .numbers file on my MAC. Keep getting message that the "index.xml file is missing" How do I restore this

Trying to open a .numbers file on my Mac. Keep getting message "index.xml file is missing". How do I restore this file. Use the file on a regular basis.

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 11:28 AM

You are attempting to open a file created in version 3 of Numbers (or a more recent version).

The version of Numbers attempting to open the document is Numbers 2.x, otherwise known as Numbers '09.

Version 3 was a 'from the ground up' rewrite. Among the changes was a change in the structure of the file format used to store .numbers documents.

Numbers '09 files were a package that included (and required) an index.xml file.

Numbers v3 (and later) versions do not require (or contain) an index.xml file.

In Finder, right click on the file to open the open-with menu and choose the Numbers with the highest version number (remembering that Numbers '09 is version 2.x and Numbers '08, which is unlikely to be on the list, is version 1.x).

To tell your Mac to use the version chosen here to always use that version, click once on the filename, then press command-I to Get Info.

In the info pane, go to the Open with section and choose the same version of Numbers as you did above. Then check Change All to make that version of Numbers the default version to open all files with the .numbers extension.

Regards,

Barry

Regards,

Barry

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2022 11:28 AM in response to BKBATES2003

You are attempting to open a file created in version 3 of Numbers (or a more recent version).

The version of Numbers attempting to open the document is Numbers 2.x, otherwise known as Numbers '09.

Version 3 was a 'from the ground up' rewrite. Among the changes was a change in the structure of the file format used to store .numbers documents.

Numbers '09 files were a package that included (and required) an index.xml file.

Numbers v3 (and later) versions do not require (or contain) an index.xml file.

In Finder, right click on the file to open the open-with menu and choose the Numbers with the highest version number (remembering that Numbers '09 is version 2.x and Numbers '08, which is unlikely to be on the list, is version 1.x).

To tell your Mac to use the version chosen here to always use that version, click once on the filename, then press command-I to Get Info.

In the info pane, go to the Open with section and choose the same version of Numbers as you did above. Then check Change All to make that version of Numbers the default version to open all files with the .numbers extension.

Regards,

Barry

Regards,

Barry

Trying to open a .numbers file on my MAC. Keep getting message that the "index.xml file is missing" How do I restore this

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.