Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOs Monterey The menu item System Preferences -> Displays -> Color doesn't exist. How to calibrate color?

I have a Mac Pro, Monterey 12.2.1, and a Samsung monitor. I want to calibrate color on the monitor. I do not want to "pick a color set" I want to hand-tune color. On many Apple products there is a Menu item for this: Menu -> System Preferences -> Displays -> Color

But this menu item does not exist on my system. When I navigate to

Menu -> System Preferences -> Displays I see a Color Profile dropdown that does not allow for calibration, but only selection of an existing color profile. Also, while there is a "Customize" selection at the end of the dropdown list, selecting this only shows the dropdown list again. There is no calibration mechanism.

Help.

(But first please READ my question and do not tell me to do things I've listed as not possible. Thank you.)

Mac Pro, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 3:05 PM

It's well hidden.

System Preferences > Displays

Click on the drop down menu showing the current monitor profile. Go all the way to the bottom of the list and choose Custom. On this small screen that appears, click the + button.

Hold down the Option key while clicking the + button to get Expert Mode.

5 replies

Mar 12, 2022 2:19 PM in response to hinton_johnson

Try this link :

https://www.maketecheasier.com/calibrate-mac-display/ , click on the + key while holding down the “option” key on the keyboard…

Otherwise… you might have to buy a colorimeter for expert calibration… like this ( see link)

https://photographylife.com/how-to-calibrate-apple-mac-monitor… i have no experience with such things… i just used the built in Mac os monitor calibrator…

john b

Mar 12, 2022 3:00 PM in response to Johnb-one

John B - Thanks. Sadly this isn't part of the Mac OS Monterey Display UI -- However it's looking as though the app Colorsync Utility, which offers various color maps and other insight, may at least be a starting point.

So far I'm not seeing a manual calibration method. So the solution has not yet presented itself. I'm still looking. I'm wondering whether Apple, by removing or burying calibration functionality for external monitor brands, is trying to push everyone to their monitors. That would be sad.

MacOs Monterey The menu item System Preferences -> Displays -> Color doesn't exist. How to calibrate color?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.