Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trying to upgrade to Mac Monterey and can't access it because the administrator password is incorrect

How do I reset the administrator password to download Mac Monterrey?

iMac 24″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 8:08 AM

nai2000 wrote:

iMac 24″, macOS 11.4

Are you logged in your correct account? See the 

Are you admin? If you are logged in to your correct admin account then your psswd is correct....

See users and groups

>system Preferences>Users & Groups

Change Users & Groups User preferences on Mac - Apple ...

Are you a standard user?

Is this the first instance of a dialog telling you "administrator password is incorrect" or an ongoing issue...?

Is the iMac 24" with the original OEM HD /SSD or have you upgrades to a third party HD/SSD ?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2022 8:08 AM in response to nai2000

nai2000 wrote:

iMac 24″, macOS 11.4

Are you logged in your correct account? See the 

Are you admin? If you are logged in to your correct admin account then your psswd is correct....

See users and groups

>system Preferences>Users & Groups

Change Users & Groups User preferences on Mac - Apple ...

Are you a standard user?

Is this the first instance of a dialog telling you "administrator password is incorrect" or an ongoing issue...?

Is the iMac 24" with the original OEM HD /SSD or have you upgrades to a third party HD/SSD ?

Mar 14, 2022 4:57 PM in response to leroydouglas

I'm not sure what you mean by correct account. I only have one account and am the only person using this computer. I'm able to log on to the computer with the password I set up when the machine was purchased. For the upgrade the machine is asking for a different administrator password. Since I'm the owner and only user of the machine, I guess that makes me "admin". There are no other users and groups on this device. I'm not sure what you mean by "standard" user. This is an ongoing issue and I have not upgraded to a third party.

trying to upgrade to Mac Monterey and can't access it because the administrator password is incorrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.