Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APFS formatting

I’ve been told by Apple Support (who can’t seem to help me with any issues) that I need to erase my drive to reformat to APFS. However, APFS is not offered to me as a file format. Can’t figure out what to do. I can’t install a new system without having my disk formatted as APFS. Help!!

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 1:02 AM

You don't tell which macOS you are running.

macOS 10.13 High Sierra is the oldest that supports APFS. So you have to update to it before getting APFS option.

Backup before doing anything else.

In Disk Utility you need to 1st enable GUID partition scheme before APFS is available as an option (which IMHO is a confusing user experience).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2022 1:02 AM in response to KAKAKA1

You don't tell which macOS you are running.

macOS 10.13 High Sierra is the oldest that supports APFS. So you have to update to it before getting APFS option.

Backup before doing anything else.

In Disk Utility you need to 1st enable GUID partition scheme before APFS is available as an option (which IMHO is a confusing user experience).

Mar 13, 2022 5:49 AM in response to KAKAKA1

If your Mac is older than High Sierra, and you run Internet Restore to restore the operating system, then yes, you won't see APFS on Disk Utility, and will need to install that older OS first, if your drive was wiped.

If your Mac still has a viable recovery partition, no need to reformat anything, just command-R boot and reinstall the current operating system.

If you have software you want to isolate if it is misbehaving, wiping the drive is not necessary. Using Etrecheck and reporting the results here, will help.

APFS formatting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.