Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does usb audio sometimes quit?

I have some externally powered speakers (Audioengine A2+) connected by USB. Normally they work fine, but sometimes when I use the Preferences>Sound menu to select "Audioengine A2+" as the output, I get no sound. Switching to the other outputs - such as "iMac Speakers" or "External Headphones" the sound plays normally. If I turn off the power switch on the A2+ speakers, then turn them back on - the speakers will play again - until next time.

Is this more likely a Mac hardwware problem, a speaker hardware problem, or an Apple software problem?

2020 iMac 27" 5k Retina (iMac20,1) running Big Sur, 11.6.4 (same problem with v.11.6.2)

Thank you

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 3:03 PM

I suspect that the Audioengine A2+ goes into a sleep mode when your Preferences>Sound selection is something other than the Audioengine A2+ for an extended time. It is not uncommon for some USB devices to sleep (aka drop the connection) after idling for awhile. Turning the power switch off & on wakes up the unit (actually, wakes up the USB connection).

You could try an NVRAM/PRAM reset.  It resets various system configurations including some stored audio and video settings and can help clear up some problems. It is a harmless procedure when used infrequently. (Although I do not really think the NVRAM is the problem.)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2022 3:03 PM in response to Gary Wright4

I suspect that the Audioengine A2+ goes into a sleep mode when your Preferences>Sound selection is something other than the Audioengine A2+ for an extended time. It is not uncommon for some USB devices to sleep (aka drop the connection) after idling for awhile. Turning the power switch off & on wakes up the unit (actually, wakes up the USB connection).

You could try an NVRAM/PRAM reset.  It resets various system configurations including some stored audio and video settings and can help clear up some problems. It is a harmless procedure when used infrequently. (Although I do not really think the NVRAM is the problem.)

Why does usb audio sometimes quit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.