external audio output fails on Mac mini 2023

what could cause external audio output failure on my new Mac mini

Posted on May 19, 2023 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 9:01 AM

I use external speakers connected to the headphone jack. In settings it did not show any external devices. I had just updated the OS so I thought that might have something to do with the problem. After a restart the problem is solved for now. I should have thought to try that before asking for help. Thanks for your reply.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2023 9:01 AM in response to den.thed

I use external speakers connected to the headphone jack. In settings it did not show any external devices. I had just updated the OS so I thought that might have something to do with the problem. After a restart the problem is solved for now. I should have thought to try that before asking for help. Thanks for your reply.

Mar 20, 2024 6:25 AM in response to Jim Chubbuck

Running Sonoma 14.3.1 on a Mac mini M1. I have multiple sound devices including a professional headset. In my user profile I am unable to have the sound output go to the headset. Rather, the sound output goes to the Mac mini speakers. I have done a reinstall of the OS and an Apple Support agent had me remove a number of pid files. This problem does not occur on a newly created user profile. This Glitch only occurs when I pick up an incoming call to my Iphone on the Mac mini. Any suggestions short of starting from scratch. (backing up everything and reinstalling everything a chore I "loath". Thanks for taking the time to read this.

external audio output fails on Mac mini 2023

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.