Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing 4k into IMovie 10.4.1

I've got imovie 10.1.4. I have a video recorded at 4K 24 fps that cannot be imported into imovie. I have tried converting it and compressing it in several formats with no success. I realize that I need to update my iOS but this means me buying a new computer. Is there a temporary work around so that I can import and edit this video I have already recorded? Or a suggestion for another video editing software that can be used?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 9:34 AM

iMovie 10.1.4 supports 4k editing and exporting, with Macs year 2011 and newer having 4G+ of RAM.. The 4k that is supported is 4k 30 fps. Your 4k clips are 4k 24 fps. I would think that 24 fps would still be supported, but perhaps it is an issue. I don't have any 4k 24 fps to test.

Try resetting/deleting iMovie preferences and see if that cures it. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2022 9:34 AM in response to agarc.infinity

iMovie 10.1.4 supports 4k editing and exporting, with Macs year 2011 and newer having 4G+ of RAM.. The 4k that is supported is 4k 30 fps. Your 4k clips are 4k 24 fps. I would think that 24 fps would still be supported, but perhaps it is an issue. I don't have any 4k 24 fps to test.

Try resetting/deleting iMovie preferences and see if that cures it. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Mar 15, 2022 10:17 AM in response to Rich839

Thank you Rich. Will bear this information in mind as my move forward in my video recording endeavors...

I found a work around for this one as I was primarily worried about losing the footage I'd worked so hard for.

As stated, footage was recorded at 24 fps. I essentially cut it down in imovie on my phone and then exported it to my iphotos, then uploaded it to youtube from there. Once it was uploaded to YouTube I downloaded it to my laptop where I could then sync the audio I'd recorded, finally being able to upload back to youtube where I could share it. I was a hassle but I managed to save all that work this time. I will most likely simply film at 30 fps until I figure out a permanent solution to this. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Importing 4k into IMovie 10.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.