Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) speakers be replaced under DIY servicing?

At least one of the two speakers on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) appears to be damaged (very distorted). Is it possible to repair/replace these speakers under the recently announced DIY repair capabilities? If not, could this be done via a Melbourne, Australia Apple Store? I know this is an old model but it meets my needs and has been very reliable otherwise.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 10:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 1:25 AM

Is it possible to repair/replace these speakers under the recently announced DIY repair capabilities?

It has always been possible to repair what you own, and any recent or pending legislation will have no effect on that fact.

The question you are asking is whether the Melbourne, Australia Apple Store will perform that repair. They probably will not, but only because that Mac is considered "obsolete". That means Apple no longer supports that Mac at all.

But that's not a "DIY" question. "Do it yourself" implies you intend to perform the repairs yourself. You could always do that, but it usually comes at the expense of invalidating any manufacturer's warranty.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2022 1:25 AM in response to GetSerious

Is it possible to repair/replace these speakers under the recently announced DIY repair capabilities?

It has always been possible to repair what you own, and any recent or pending legislation will have no effect on that fact.

The question you are asking is whether the Melbourne, Australia Apple Store will perform that repair. They probably will not, but only because that Mac is considered "obsolete". That means Apple no longer supports that Mac at all.

But that's not a "DIY" question. "Do it yourself" implies you intend to perform the repairs yourself. You could always do that, but it usually comes at the expense of invalidating any manufacturer's warranty.

Mar 15, 2022 7:11 PM in response to GetSerious

An independent repair shop may perform the repair, but finding replacement speakers will be the problem since you don't want to purchase used speakers since used speakers will likely be worn out as well. If you can find an Apple Authorized Service Provider willing to be creative, then they could purchase speakers from Apple since the speakers for the 2015 model are still available and will work in the 2013 model, but most AASPs will probably not know or think about that option.

As for replacing the speakers yourself, well it is a very difficult job since both the Logic Board and I/O Boards must be removed to access the speakers on the 15" model (it is really easy to do for the 13" model though).

FYI, you probably will want to replace both speakers if you can purchase new speakers since I am sure the other speaker is wearing/worn out even if it seems Ok now.

Can MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) speakers be replaced under DIY servicing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.