You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 MacBook Pro has horizontal flickering lines and a thick vertical bar in the center of display.

My 2017 MacBook Pro (13” touchbar) has colored lines flickering horizontally across the screen and a thick vertical bar will appear consistently in the middle of the screen. The frequency and intensity changes depending on how wide the clam shell hinge is open.

From reading the support forums it is exactly what is described in similar display issues with the 2016 MBP.

I’ve treated this thing like a newborn, not even placing it down hard on a surface, let alone never dropping it. It just started happening. Please let me know what caused this and how I can correct the issue.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Wade

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 2:55 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 14, 2022 3:12 PM in response to rocketeye

Overextending the hinge can cause it. You don't want to push it more than you feel any level of resistance. If you never feel resistance, it could be the person who assembled it did not adjust it properly. Unfortunately being over 4 years old, your only hope for a less expensive repair is for the defect to be noticed by

Apple Service Programs - Apple Support

Otherwise if you want to chance it at an eBay repair site, know you won't get get any warranty from Apple on the repair.

Backup your data before sending it to repair. If you can't read it with an external display, use Target Disk Mode to backup the data. An Authorized Service Provider may be able to help you as well.

Some other things that may also cause it is a battery expansion which can extend different parts of the case, and cause the inverter cable to get damaged. If you attach an external display, you can verify if it is the graphics chip, or just the cable linking the display to the logicboard which is damaged. These repairs aren't cheap. I personally have priced the screen repairs, and you can get an external display that plugs via USB even with battery power much cheaper.

Mar 18, 2022 9:27 AM in response to rocketeye

rocketeye wrote:

My 2017 MacBook Pro (13” touchbar) has colored lines flickering horizontally across the screen and a thick vertical bar will appear consistently in the middle of the screen. The frequency and intensity changes depending on how wide the clam shell hinge is open.

You have a hardware issue— take it in.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"— or see software help

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

https://locate.apple.com/country

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Mar 14, 2022 11:01 PM in response to a brody

Hi Brody,

I’ve never overextended the hinge , just noticed it glitches less when closed at the 45 rather than a 90 degree angle. And will completely stop when just slightly open.

The desktop mirrors fine to an external monitor with no artifacting. So I’m guessing it’s a damaged display or the FPC flex cable?

I checked out some ebay repair listings, and they seem very cost effective. I didn’t even know this was a thing, what’s the catch? Are those options generally cheaper than going with a local authorized Apple repair shop?

Thank you for your response and valuable insight on this,

Wade

Mar 16, 2022 3:37 PM in response to rocketeye

After some research and speaking with Apple Certified Techs, It’s obvious that this is a very prevalent and known issue in the 2016 MacBook models and beyond. I’ve discovered that the two fixed ribbon cables from the motherboard go through the hinge area and are fixed into the display board. Just the sheer act of opening and closing the system cause this issue…and they’ve continued this design on every portable since 2016. Prior to that it was a connection that went around the corner of the Mac and was very reliable.

As prevalent as this issue is I’m surprised Apple is not offering to fix this free of charge, especially considering it is directly related to their design that causes the issue. To design something that fails through normal use and offer a no cost repair solution is disappointing.

I’ve been a Mac user since 1995. Apple’s hardware design has always been superior to all others. I’ve often referred to them as “the Cadillac of Computers”. Some models I’ve used for over a decade, and will still function to this day. 

Now Apple continues to implement a flawed design knowing it will eventually fail through standard use. This flaw requires the replacement of the entire display unit, rather than just the individual part. In turn, making it difficult and costly for the owner to repair it themselves. Then only offering a high priced repair option to correct their flaw.

I really hope they’re listening. I implore them to implement an Apple Service Program for this very prevalent issue.

2017 MacBook Pro has horizontal flickering lines and a thick vertical bar in the center of display.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.