Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac keeps going offline saying "your ethernet cable is unplugged".

My iMac keeps going offline saying "your ethernet cable is unplugged". Then 10 seconds later I'm back online. This happens continuously. My mac is a late 2015 model running macOS Monterey version 12.3. I've updated to the latest OS. I've turned off my computer and router. My other computer that uses this same router is not having this issue. I swapped out the ethernet cable.

What's the issue?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 4:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 12:00 PM

Hey jsfifer,

To help isolate this further, you could see if the same issue appears in safe mode and a temporary new user. Safe mode only allows certain software to load, which is why that can help isolate this further. You can read more about that here: How to use safe mode on your Mac

As for a temporary new user, this can show if the issue happens system-wide or your user specifically, as a new user doesn't have any custom or changed settings, which is why this is another way to isolate the issue: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac 

Let us know how those steps go.

Take care!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2022 12:00 PM in response to jsfifer

Hey jsfifer,

To help isolate this further, you could see if the same issue appears in safe mode and a temporary new user. Safe mode only allows certain software to load, which is why that can help isolate this further. You can read more about that here: How to use safe mode on your Mac

As for a temporary new user, this can show if the issue happens system-wide or your user specifically, as a new user doesn't have any custom or changed settings, which is why this is another way to isolate the issue: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac 

Let us know how those steps go.

Take care!

Mar 15, 2022 1:53 PM in response to jsfifer

Since you won’t explain “other computer”, I’m assuming it’s not an Apple puter.

For Apples, generally speaking, anything beyond 10’ is pushing the envelope. A failure that can show any time. For longer lengths, use a switch. I’m afraid other than that your only option is to schedule bring-in repair. The estimate is free, replacing the LAN card will cost, I’m guessing around $300. Non-refundable, if it still doesn’t work, you’re back to square one. Good luck!

Mar 16, 2022 10:41 AM in response to claire504

This solution worked for me. I logged in as another user and the issue was still there. Then I started my Mac in safe mode and the issue was still there. Then finally I started my computer with Command + R and re-installed my operating system which seems to have solved the issue. The next step was going to be erasing everything and starting completely over, but that was going to be a huge amount of effort.

My iMac keeps going offline saying "your ethernet cable is unplugged".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.