Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to add icloud contacts to "on my mac"?

First of all, please don't send me any links to any online apple support article, official or not. I've looked at all of them and they are indecipherable and incomprehensible. However, if you could answer my question in simple, step-by-step terms (being sure to define any jargon), that would be great!

OK, so I open the contacts app on my imac (all latest software updates in place). In the left hand column, I see entry links for "All iCloud" and below that "All on my Mac." The problem is that the list of contacts "all on my mac" is incomplete. I would like to store all my contacts "on my mac" AND "on the iCloud." Or rather, to merge the two lists without duplication. Is there any way to do so?

Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 5:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 7:27 PM

Arandel,

We understand that you are seeing contacts in the On My Mac section as well as iCloud and would like to either show the same contacts in both lists, or merge them to one. Since the contacts that appear in the On My Mac section do not automatically sync to iCloud, you will need to manually move them.

To do this, open the Contacts app and drag the contact from the On My Mac section to the All iCloud section. This will place them in iCloud.

We hope this helps.

Take care.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2022 7:27 PM in response to Arandel

Arandel,

We understand that you are seeing contacts in the On My Mac section as well as iCloud and would like to either show the same contacts in both lists, or merge them to one. Since the contacts that appear in the On My Mac section do not automatically sync to iCloud, you will need to manually move them.

To do this, open the Contacts app and drag the contact from the On My Mac section to the All iCloud section. This will place them in iCloud.

We hope this helps.

Take care.

Mar 15, 2022 12:25 PM in response to Arandel

Hello Arandel,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

All iCloud shows all of the contacts available on iCloud. All on My Mac shows contacts only available on your Mac.

We would recommend just selecting See All Contacts so that all of your contacts are visible. This can be found in the sidebar of the Contacts app.

More information can be found here: View your contacts in Contacts on Mac

Alternatively, if you'd like to add them all to iCloud so you can access them from other devices, in Set up and use iCloud Contacts - Apple Support it's mentioned that you can click, hold, and drag those contacts from under "On My Mac" to "All iCloud" within the Contacts app on your Mac. Let us know if that works for you.

Cheers!

Mar 15, 2022 7:14 PM in response to Arandel

There used to be a time when the people on this forum actually read a question and tried to answer it. Nowadays we get an "answer" that is only distantly related to the actual question. At least some respondents just make up an easy question that is somehow related and post a canned answer. I can't say I'm surprised, only disappointed. I've read that reading skills are on the decline among high school and even college/university graduates, and my experiences here confirm those findings.

how to add icloud contacts to "on my mac"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.