Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Print Keychain Passwords

Is there a way to print out a list of my Passwords in Keychain? Other than taking screenshots and scrolling down the list.... like the cavemen did it!

I want to have the list for reference before I go into Keychain and fix my numerous "at risk" passwords.

I am using macOS Monterey.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 1:56 AM

To add to the previous suggestions where are very good, this method has worked from me and some others.

It is a very Caveman method.

While in Password Applet or Keychain Utility choose the password until it appears. Command + C to copy and Paste to a text editor of choice and Command + V.

Repeat until all it done and Save the text document with a Password ( to keep unauthorized eyes out of the document).

Print and review.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2022 1:56 AM in response to Ebzoo

To add to the previous suggestions where are very good, this method has worked from me and some others.

It is a very Caveman method.

While in Password Applet or Keychain Utility choose the password until it appears. Command + C to copy and Paste to a text editor of choice and Command + V.

Repeat until all it done and Save the text document with a Password ( to keep unauthorized eyes out of the document).

Print and review.

Mar 14, 2022 9:30 PM in response to Ebzoo

Hi there!

Good question! I believe you can still export Safari passwords, in which many of the keychain passwords are stored via File > Export, (Although I haven’t done that in some time):

Import bookmarks, history, and passwords in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Although it sounds like you are just wanting a reference, and not a file to be re-imported at another time?

I know the passwords are highly protected.

Can you say if you use iCloud Keychain or not? Or if you just use the local Mac keychain?

I ask because if you use iCloud, you could say disable iCloud Keychain on say your phone and keep a copy just on the phone. Disable iCloud Keychain on your Mac, Then reset your Mac keychain and still be able to reference your passwords from your phone.

Just a thought any more info might help though and others may have more ideas or suggestions, thanks!

Mar 15, 2022 6:03 AM in response to PRP_53

WARNING!!! This saves passwords in plain text

Using Safari -> File -> Export -> Passwords function seems to only export website saved password details to a CSV text file that Numbers or Excel can open (or a text editor). It may not include App passwords and other saved password types. But this might be the majority of the passwords. Credit: @DiZoE

Using System Preferences -> Passwords click the circled ellipsis button drop down at the bottom of the list of passwords to export all passwords.

Be extremely cautious not to leave this file laying around or place it on any cloud storage, etc. If you use iCloud Desktop and Documents Sync, save it somewhere else and then destroy it when you are done with it. If you do wish to keep it, at least create a small DMG encrypted disk image and place it inside. This file might be backed up on Time Machine as well.

It is recommended to perhaps go one password at a time and use the Password System Preferences screen to fix your compromised passwords to keep them secured. Or if migrating to a 3rd party password manager that you go one account at a time.

Again, one little human error and you can leak these passwords to bad actors in a myriad of ways. Exercise extreme caution when dealing with an unencrypted complete list of all your passwords to everything you saved in macOS.

Mar 14, 2022 9:31 PM in response to Ebzoo

If you go to System Preferences -> Passwords instead of Keychain not only will it tell you which accounts are at risk but you hover your mouse over the ********* password entries and they will reveal what the password is. At the bottom of the screen is a checkbox to Detect compromised passwords. It will also show you which passwords were re-used. There is also a handy, Change Password on Website button.

That's the best option, you are not going to be able to get a list you can print out for security reasons. You have to unlock each individual keychain entry and reveal the password. But the System Preferences -> Passwords screen make it much easier, you unlock the Passwords screen and you can reveal the passwords with a simple mouse hover or clicking the Edit button will also show the existing password.

You might be able to import the passwords from the keychain into a 3rd party tool and manage them that way. But this is the built-in method Apple provides.

Mar 16, 2022 8:48 PM in response to DiZoE

Hi there yourself!

I got so many suggestions, none that quite fit the bill although all are appreciated.

Here are some clarifications that will probably end up being the cause of why I can't do what I want. I just want a simple paper printout of my Keychain websites and the passwords for them.

I do not want to import/export them.

I am not using Safari. I have the latest version of Chrome.

I am not on the Cloud. (don't ask, I'll just go on a rant that isn't even related to this!)

I was able to print out a copy of them in El Capitan on my older iMac. It was tedious as I had to do a "show all passwords" using my admin password. This would only work on the ones that were able to fit in the open window. But I did a screenshot; went down the next page, "show passwords", screenshot and so on to the end.

This paper copy really saved me when it came to deleting the duplicates, repeat passwords and email addresses. I also want to delete my work passwords as I have since retired.

Please post back if anyone comes up with a better solution for me.

Thanks!!

Mar 16, 2022 10:49 PM in response to Ebzoo

When you export the passwords from the System Preferences -> Passwords -> Ellipsis button near the + and - buttons in the bottom left corner. Exporting results in the creation of a CSV file which is a comma delimited text file. Apple Numbers or Microsoft Excel can open the file and express it as a spreadsheet. You can edit the file, removing duplicates and formatting it anyway you wish, then you can print it.

Mar 17, 2022 4:42 AM in response to James Brickley

Thanks for that tip, I just tried it out and it works as described. I don't intend to keep the list so I deleted it (instantly), and as I was in between my scheduled Time Machine backups there were no historic backups of this sensitive file. So I'm suggesting that people generate this password file after a recent TM backup and delete it before the next backup after they've printed it off. What do people think?

Print Keychain Passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.